3 years in oz now wanting to go back to the UK

harrijay

Hi

our story.... me and my partner came over to the Gold Coast on the 1st Jan 2011, I'm not going to lie I have found it extremly hard to settle coming from a very close family to move so far away i have found it very lonely. We are currently going through the start of our application for residency and my partner is currently waiting to do his skills assessment. Just wanted some info if anyone could help, once and if our residency is approved, how do we then go about going back to the UK. We are going through with the residency as we dont want the 'what if' hanging over us and my partner would like the option to be able to come back later in life if he wishes but is it that simple??

Thanks

If you want to option to return in later life - you will need citizenship. As you have 3 years in Australia on a temp visa, you will need 1 year as a PR, before you will be eligible to apply for citizenship.

A PR visa is valid for 5 years after the initial 5 years have expired you require 2 years residence in Australia in the last 5 to be eligible for another 5 years RRV.

Gaining citizenship would be your best option. But you may be looking at another 18 months to 2 years, before you get the PR and do the 12 months as PR, plus the processing of citizenship.

thank you for the reply! so to be able to apply for citizenship we need to have a year as a PR?

Australian Citizenship Act 2007 Residence Requirements

To satisfy the residence requirements you must have:

• 4 years lawful residence in Australia. This period must include 12 months as a permanent resident immediately before making an application for Australian citizenship

• and

• absences from Australia of no more than 12 months in total in the 4 years prior to application, including not more than 90 days in the 12 months immediately prior to application.

Lawful residence means residence in Australia on a temporary or permanent visa.

Archived