457 application as a software engineer contractor on a 6month contract

Hi,

I'm currently on a 417 WHV, I've been working as a Software Engineer for the last 5 months, my contract is up at the end of this month but the company want to keep me on for another 6 months. Is there a minimum amount of time a company needs to commit to sponsoring someone or can they sort me a 457 visa for the next 6 months then when my contract is up, I can search for another sponsor during the 90 day period? I've a pretty good skill set which is in high demand so I have no doubt I could find another sponsor but just looking to know the likelihood of my visa being granted?

There is no minimum period for a 457 - well there is but it is 1 day :)

What I'm not sure is whether the company specify upfront the period they want to sponsor you for.

Is this a company familiar with the obligations they have to meet for an employee on a 457 visa? I am surprised they would be willing to agree to these for a contractor.

Hey there

Don't let others see how good you have it :) we have a lot of clients who have a hard time finding a sponsor!

The company will usually specify in the contract how long they would like to keep you for, etc. so the visa can be granted based on this period. Are they aware of the criteria to sponsor someone? You might find that once they are aware of the amount of work involved they may only wish to sponsor you if you decide to stay on for a longer amount of time...

Either way, you are able to change sponsors if you find a different one there is no minimum amount of time you need to stay with your current sponsor, it will be quite a lot of paper-work involved though in getting the new sponsorship and nomination done for them but it is possible. I think you may want to start by getting your employer on-board with everything that will need tobe done on their part and see if they are willing to help out or, if not, you can then focus on finding a different cooperative employer.

Cheers and good luck!

Claudia

Archived