189 - is there a doc showing the NUMBER of people needed for each skill ?

clissy1

Hi There

I'm desperately looking for a document that shows the current numbers of people/applications Australia needs for each skill. For example NSW needs 90 plumbers etc. so we can see numerically which skills are most urgently needed. This may help us tailor our application as my husband's role can fall into several categories (manager/engineer type/etc). I have seen the skills list but it doesn't show urgency of each occupation.

ps. do you know if anyone has got a job via skill select, can potential employers see your application?

Thanks for your help

It will depend on what your husband's degree or work experience is what visa he will be eligible for. Unfortunately experience and education dictate the visa not what we think we fit.

Have to wait to be invited to apply. If you are so unsure then maybe you should look at using a migration agent.

Hi There

I'm desperately looking for a document that shows the current numbers of people/applications Australia needs for each skill. For example NSW needs 90 plumbers etc. so we can see numerically which skills are most urgently needed. This may help us tailor our application as my husband's role can fall into several categories (manager/engineer type/etc). I have seen the skills list but it doesn't show urgency of each occupation.

ps. do you know if anyone has got a job via skill select, can potential employers see your application?

Thanks for your help

I understand this question as I was in the same position myself: I could have applied and proved experience of about 5 different categories, so I wanted to know which was the most in demand.

I couldn't find any numbers myself and the dodgy recruitment agent I started to use before I went bust wouldn't give a straight answer - though I suspect that might have been for legal reasons, like they can't help a client "make" a history that gets them in.

If you find a list, please post it! I would be very interested to read it.

All the best, PJ.

If you get an Independent (189) or state sponsored (190 or 489) points tested visa, you can work in any occupation in Australia - you don't need to work in your nominated occupation. That means that you should simply nominate the occupation in which you have the best chance of getting a positive skills assessment and which provides the highest number of points - the number of workers needed in that occupation shouldn't enter into it at all. Check the Occupation ceilings to make sure your selected occupation isn't near the limit but that's all you need to do on that score.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/ See Reports for Occupation ceilings

Edited by Ozmaniac

It's a logical enough question, but it flounders on the assumption that the Skills in Demand List is based upon skills in demand. That, somehow, employers register a vacancy which then gets collated into data which drives the assignment of migration visas.

Unfortunately this isn't the case. The list is essentially politically driven. That's why many people turn up to find that the employment situation on the ground doesn't reflect the official SOL. Probably a better guide would be to run iterative SEEK queries. It's also no guarantee, but I suggest it to be a better guide than the official lists. However, the bottom line is that you need to be on the official list to get the visa in the first place.

There are the occupation ceiling reports on the Skills Select website which detail the quantity of visas available for each ANZSCO code and then how many of those visas have already been allocated. These are updated after each round I believe.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/ > Reports Tab > Occupation Ceilings Section

If I'm reading it correctly, for example Plumbers (3341XX), there are 5400 visas for 2013 - 2014 and 69 have been allocated thus far.

• Like 1