ielts

getus2oz

hello all,

i've booked to sit english exam on 19/4 and wondered if anyone can recommend good books to study from, also does anyone know how long the official study pack takes to get delivered as i think i've left it abit late to order it now:unsure:( if anyone wants to sell theirs second hand please send me a PM).

cheers and happy easter to members of PIO

Guest YorksfamilyRobinson

Hi there, I didn't get any study guides but the IELTS website has some practise materials that you can download which I found useful. I think they are past papers for reading and writing parts so you get an idea of what to expect. I found listening test was the hardest part as you have to keep up with it and read a couple of questions ahead.

Good luck

Guest The Whalley Rangers

Hello!

I sat my IELTS 2 weeks ago today and got my result a couple of days ago (got a 9!!)

I just used the IELTS Practice Materials study book which I purchased from the IELTS test centre in Manchester (where I sat the test) for £10. Unfortunately, I just listed it on ebay tonight before reading your post.

I would really recommend getting a copy, as it has example tests which you can take and score yourself on. Whilst it is pretty straight forward, it helps if you know the format of the tests. Timing yourself is good practice, especially with the writing test. With the listening test (it comes with a CD), it is good to practice reading ahead as you listen so you don't miss anything. The reading test is mainly very straight forward, but there are always a couple of tricky questions designed to catch people out - you have to read a text and then answer questions based on 'true' 'false' or 'not given in text', which is not always immediately apparent. With the writing you need to practice timing yourself, and just follow good basic grammar and watch spelling! The speaking (which for some reason I was most worried about) is a doddle! There were people re-taking the test when I went, who had failed on the reading or writing, so it is not a 'given' just because English is your first language. I am sure if you just take a bit of time to prepare you will be fine! Good Luck!

Archived