Info for partner visa for PR please

leanie

I am asking on behalf of somebody who is a kiwi and has just been granted permanent residence due to a loophole in the system whereby if you arrived in aus by a certain date you were automatically granted pr. He arrived in the 1980s for a holiday (moved over many years later with scv) and just applied and was granted pr.

my question is what visa can his spouse apply for? They have been married for 40ish years and have lived in aus for about 10years. Can spouses of new pr's apply straight away or is there a waiting period? How long does the process take, what does it cost? Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

What visa is she in Australia on now??

There is no waiting time to apply for partner visas - she could apply now, she should be given PR straight away as they have been together for more than 3 years.

Onshore partner visas take about 12-18 months onshore.

Both will be eligible for citizenship after they have been a PR for 1 year, if they meet the other requirements.

Hi leanie!

(Nice to see you on these forums again!)

His spouse can apply for a partner visa. The spouse can apply now as he is PR and will be deemed usually resident in Australia (given the period you have indicated that they have lived in Australia). The visa application charge for applying for a partner visa in Australia has gone up a lot - it is now $4575 for the partner/spouse to apply in Australia.

Processing time for partner visa applied for in Australia has been in the 10 - 14 months range recently.

Thanks labourvellec, spouse is on a special category visa and is kiwi too. Hey killara ;o)

i thought she she would be able to apply straight away but when I look online at imm website it has confused me by saying she would first need to go on a temporary visa. So that's not the case as they have been married for longer than 3 years? What visa number is it that she'd need to apply for? Cheers.

Thanks labourvellec, spouse is on a special category visa and is kiwi too. Hey killara ;o)

i thought she she would be able to apply straight away but when I look online at imm website it has confused me by saying she would first need to go on a temporary visa. So that's not the case as they have been married for longer than 3 years? What visa number is it that she'd need to apply for? Cheers.

She should be granted visa subclass 801 which is the PR partner visa, but it's the same application for both TR and PR applications.

A permanent visa can be granted earlier if either:

when you apply, you have been in a relationship with your partner for not less than three years, or not less than two years if there is a dependent child of your relationship

Booklet 1 will give information needed

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

Archived