OTs in Victoria

misstatt

Hi I'm considering a 457 visa and working in Victoria. I've joined the OT group but it's a bit quiet and I can't post on there yet! I was just wondering if anyone is also at the beginning of this process. I've just been on the OT council website and it says it's 1200 dollars to do the desk top audit, seems pricey but suppose it must be done?!!

I went through the process a couple of years ago. It is long and lots of paperwork, but it must be done to qualify to work as an OT here. There is also a 6 month practice audit that you must do when you start working until you can get full registration as on OT through AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency. One thing that you do have to watch out for - another OT posted on here recently - you need to have a job offer and employer sign off that they will support you through the practice audit before you can get provisional registration.

Some information from the Occupational Therapy Board website http://www.occupationaltherapyboard.gov.au/Registration.aspx

Overseas qualified practitioners

Internationally-qualified occupational therapists wanting to practise in Australia are currently required to undertake an initial assessment in compliance with the requirements specified by the Occupational Therapy Council (OTC). This assessment comprises:

• Stage 1 - desktop audit
  • Stage 2 - Supervised practice audit

These initial assessment processes will then qualify internationally-trained practitioners for registration by the Occupational Therapy Board of Australia via the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).

Please visit the OTC website for further details on the initial assessment processes.

In addition, further information is provided at the Board’s website comprising of facts sheets detailing information on:

• Demonstrating English language skills for overseas qualified practitioners
  • Grandparenting - pathways to practise transitional arrangements for overseas qualified practitioners

Let me know if you have any questions - there's usually quite a few OT job postings on seek www.seek.com.au and I didn't have any issues getting a job when I got here in March 2012 - I had 2 job offers within a few weeks. I also sent out about 40 job applications though. Make sure your cover letter addresses the key qualifications specifically.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

You'll definitely need to get the skills assessment completed before you go. Unfortunately, AHPRA registration is not straight forward, particularly if you completed your training outside Australia - have a read of the post regarding AHPRA registration on the forum as it will explain the situation better to you.

Good luck and if you need any further advice just get in touch.

Thanks Bosco, since my last post I've had a positive skills assessment and been nominated by Victoria for a 190 visa which I applied for last month. Just waiting now. Once I've got the visa I'll start looking for jobs. I understand that I'll have to work a minimum of 30hrs per week during the first six months of supervised employment which will lead to AHPRA registration as an OT. I'm hoping that it won't be too difficult to get the job I need when the time is right.

Congratulations on getting your skills assessment completed and hopefully the visa won't take too long :biggrin:

As far as I know, you'll have to work 30 hrs for the first 6 months of supervised practice to be eligible for general registration with AHPRA...if you work less hours the period of supervised practice is extended.

I moved to Sydney last October with my skills assessment and permanent residency, but unfortunately, wasn't able to get a job offering 6 months supervision so I've returned to the UK for a few months. I spoke to many OT's in Sydney and they think the problem is because registration is still relatively new in Australia so employers don't know about the requirements. Hopefully this will change very soon and they will realise that 6 months supervision is not such a big deal :biggrin:

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on.

Crikey, that doesn't sound good, I need to be working soon after I get out there, and ideally arranged before I go. Hopefully they'll all know about it in Victoria! Hope you get back over there soon and sort a job out too.

• 4 months later...
Congratulations on getting your skills assessment completed and hopefully the visa won't take too long :biggrin:

As far as I know, you'll have to work 30 hrs for the first 6 months of supervised practice to be eligible for general registration with AHPRA...if you work less hours the period of supervised practice is extended.

I moved to Sydney last October with my skills assessment and permanent residency, but unfortunately, wasn't able to get a job offering 6 months supervision so I've returned to the UK for a few months. I spoke to many OT's in Sydney and they think the problem is because registration is still relatively new in Australia so employers don't know about the requirements. Hopefully this will change very soon and they will realise that 6 months supervision is not such a big deal :biggrin:

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on.

Hi Bosco, was just wondering if you'd been back over to Sydney and managed to find a job yet. My visa was granted in July and we're hoping to go out this winter. I'm so far only hearing that people are struggling to find an employer who will support the 6 months of supervised practice and hope to find someone who's had some success! I've spoken to one recruitment consultant but he just said that I need to get in touch when I'm there, however I'm worried about going out and not being able to get work.

Hi Misstatt,

No, I haven't ventured back to Australia yet as it still appears to be very difficult to get a job. I'm registered with a few agencies, but most of the jobs advertised require full AHPRA registration. Sorry I haven't got better news...maybe somebody else has had better luck?

Keep me posted on your plans and good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I am also an overseas-trained OT. I've had 6 years of experience when I decided to migrate to Australia. I've been successful in completing stage 1 desktop audit from the OTC. I've also been granted a permanent resident visa. I got here in Sydney 4 months ago and still with no luck finding an employer who's willing to let me undergo the supervised practice audit. I've communicated with the OTC and AHPRA regarding this problem but they can't help me on the employment.

• 1 month later...

Hi Janelleley,

I'm so sorry to hear about your difficulties and know how frustrating it can be. I'm glad you fed back to the OTC and AHPRA and hopefully with more people highlighting the problem, things will improve (fingers crossed!). Best of luck and keep us posted.

• 2 months later...

Archived