Taking Australian Partner Back To The UK!

Goingbacktouk

This is frightening to read. I'm pregnant & my partner is Aussie - more and more I think down the line I'd like to spend some time living in the Uk as a family but it looks almost impossible! This policy could separate families...I think that is just awful

Sadly it already is separating families. It's a dreadful way to treat people who simply want to return to their country of birth with their families.

It's appalling how British citizens have less rights than Europeans. I really feel for those who have been affected. There's a website called BritCits where you can read some of the stories and find out more info. I am very fortunate in that my husband is eligible for ancestry and can't begin to imagine how I'd feel if he wasn't!

http://britcits.weebly.com/index.html

It's appalling how British citizens have less rights than Europeans.

http://britcits.weebly.com/index.html

Hi Jurls

British citizens have the same rights as Europeans in this regard. For me, it would be more difficult to bring my Australian partner to the EU country of which I am a citizen: Ireland, than it would to other EU countries. It would be easier for me to bring my Australian partner to the UK.... just as it would be easier for a UK citizen to bring their Australian partner to Ireland. It is easier for a UK citizen to bring their Australian partner to Ireland than it is for me as an Irish citizen. Vice versa: It is easier for me to bring my Australian partner to the UK than it is for a UK citizen. Thus, we have equal rights, under EU law. I'm not saying I agree with it. I'd prefer that it was easier for me to bring my partner to Ireland than the UK, but what we are basically arguing for there is for all EU citizens to have more rights - the right to bring their partner to the EU country of which they are a citizen. I think it is important that we recognise the distinction.

hi there, i just wanted to confirm that you are able to change from a working holiday visa to a spouse visa. my aussie best friend was in the uk on a WHV which expired in june 2013, she and her brit partner married in april 2013 and they applied for the visa about 2 weeks before her WHV expired (as they were advised by UKBA) and her visa (2 years leave to remain, with the potential to continue extending until eligible for citizenship) was granted end of august 2013. they did need to meet the 18000 requirement, thats all i know I'm afraid, can't go into much more detail, but i do remember what i have mentioned above quite clearly.

it is true that you cannot swap from WHV to most other categories i.e., skilled etc as i looked into doing this myself but seems as though the spouse visa is an exception.

Archived