New to Cairns

george106

Hello,

we have arrived to Cairns on Friday (06.12) last week and looking for reasonably priced place (ideally up to $200pw) to live. We are currently paying high dollar for hostel but need to find something cheaper and bigger asap (by 19.12). We've already seen three properties in manunda and edge hill but be honest neither of them appealed to us at all.

We are also looking for some work to do (my wife used to work as a nurse but we did not attempt AHPRA registration as she doesn't want to work as a nurse anymore). I was running boat valeting business back in the UK but would do anything for reasonable money.

Thanks for any help

George & Sona

Guest The Pom Queen

Are you looking for a house or apartment? I would say for your budget you are going for a 1 bed apartment. Personally I wouldn't take anything in manunda. Edge hill is a lovely suburb but not many units/apartments.

You may be best looking in the city itself. Probably avoid Martyn Street and surrounds. If you struggle let me know as I have a. Few agent friends. Where are you staying at the minute? Britchickx is staying close to the city, maybe ask her what she thinks of where she is staying.

The beaches are lovely and public transport isn't that bad.

I am sure boat valeting would go down well here, have you thought of setting up yourself. Does your wife want to get out of nursing full stop or would she work in aged care? Other than that its going to be working in the hospitality or tourism industry.

Hello and welcome to you both. We have been in Cairns for a few months now and live at Trinity Beach. I did get registered with AHPRA but not keen to do my previous role which was a Health Visitor ( Child and Family Nurse here ) so thinking about looking for work in the aged care sector. My husband does relief teaching. Please feel free to message us although I am not sure if I know how it works!

Ann

We are looking for short term cheap accommodation before we decide where in Cairns, Palm Cove or even Port Douglas we want to rent something for longer (our container should arrive approx. end of February).

As we don't earn anything atm. we don't want to splash all our saving on rent thus looking for something reasonable within Cairns. We found rental market quite competitive and realised any successful applicant needs to "impress" landlord either with higher rent than expected or staying for more than few months. Honestly we can't afford to do neither of those things and I feel we would be shortlisted from any potential property because of this.

We are currently staying in the hostel and paying $350 pw which is not sustainable for long and need to find anything sooner than later.

I would like to find work as boat detailer (employed) if possible but need to do some research where to look as there are not many companies dealing with boats.

Guest The Pom Queen
We are looking for short term cheap accommodation before we decide where in Cairns, Palm Cove or even Port Douglas we want to rent something for longer (our container should arrive approx. end of February).

As we don't earn anything atm. we don't want to splash all our saving on rent thus looking for something reasonable within Cairns. We found rental market quite competitive and realised any successful applicant needs to "impress" landlord either with higher rent than expected or staying for more than few months. Honestly we can't afford to do neither of those things and I feel we would be shortlisted from any potential property because of this.

We are currently staying in the hostel and paying $350 pw which is not sustainable for long and need to find anything sooner than later.

I would like to find work as boat detailer (employed) if possible but need to do some research where to look as there are not many companies dealing with boats.

You could look at a house share prices vary between $100 - $200 per week.

For a 2 bed unit you could pick something up for around $250 and for a house anything from $300 upwards.

You need to be looking at short term accommodation as most agents are going to want a commitment of at least 6 months, if you can commit to that I can put you in touch with a couple of agents but like you have already noticed there are not many rentals out there at the moment. Also some agents want you to be earning 3 1/2 times your rent, so if you are renting a house at $300 they are going to be asking that you are earning $1050 per week. Don't worry not all agents ask for this and if they do then try another agent.

If you have a good bank balance then agents don't always need you to be employed but they do need proof that you can pay the rent.

How long are you thinking of staying in cairns? You have arrived at the worst time of the year but if you like cairns now you will love it come May.

For work contact Quicksilver http://www.quicksilvergroup.com.au/careers.htm or get yourself down on the Marina and ask around

Archived