Skills assesment plumber

clough2387

Hello i am currently on a WHV ends at the end of March. Just about to process a skills assessment for general migration. So any information would be appreciated.

I filled out most of the form with Vetassess, just waiting for some info of work history to be sent from the u.k, but i was struggling with a few question, it asks about how long your post licence employment has been in Australia, i have only been working as a plumber here for 2 month, is that what its asking for? Also my official trade name is a heating and ventilation commercial and ventilation installer, which is a long winded name for a commercial plumber. Is this something they will reject the application on?

I was contemplating going threw an agent, but they can be very expensive, are they worth the weight in gold or does the process just seem more daunting than it actually is? I know i can get 60+ for the points and complete the practical.

Hello Clough,

I work for a migration agency so am obviously in a biased position, but this is my honest opinion. The process can be done on your own and lots of people make successful applications without agents, but it does need a lot of research on many different processes. If you are methodical and take your time to fully understand everything then you should be fine, if you go into it without researching there's lots of things that can and often do go wrong.

A good agent takes away all that research, tells you exactly what you need to provide them and can give peace of mind that the application is in good hands. There's still a lot of work involved for the applicant in terms of gathering documents, taking the tests etc, but an agent does provide a large benefit (albeit at a cost).

A lot of people can tell you that they made an application on their own, they found it easy and an agent is completely unnecessary. Other people will say they found the agent invaluable and they couldn't have done it without them. It really boils down to how much work/study you're prepared to do yourself, how confident you are of being successful and the financial aspect. It's a personal decision.

What I would recommend for absolutely everyone is that lots of Migration Agents offer free initial consultations/assessments. It is always worth taking advantage of this and getting and a professional opinion of your eligibility before moving forwards.

In answer to your questions:

1) I can't see this specific question on the application form, but post-license employment is employment undertaken after obtaining a licence to perform plumbing work in whichever state you're in.

2) Have you taken the tradeset self-evaluation yet to see the type of experience that will be expected for that occupation and whether it fits your own experience? This should be the first step. Actual job/position titles aren't really important, it's the tasks and duties of the position that matter.

All the best,

Archived