Citizenship for Australian Boyfriend

IT angel

Hi,

Hoping someone out there can help me!

My boyfriend (Australian) and I (British) have been living in the UK together since 2010.

We had already been together for 4 years in Australia when we came to the UK. Obviously, for me there were no issues, but for my BF he had to get an umarried partner visa. This came through fine and in Feb this year he got his indefinite leave to remain.

Now, here's the thing, when he first started the process he was told that after having indefinite leave to remain for 1 year, he could apply for citizenship...However, I can't find anywhere on the home office website where it says this. I know the rules have changed recently, however as he first got his visa in 2010 he should be excempt from these changes, right?

However, I still can't find anywhere that mentions the 'unmarried' part, it's all married or even civil partnership. Does anyone know how long he has to wait, is it 1 year after ILR or 5 years from entering the UK? We are confused.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers!

This might be some help.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/guide_an.pdf

Have a look at page 8, it says this

SECTION 2: RESIDENCE REQUIREMENTS

2.1 Enter the day you first arrived with a view to staying in the UK on a long-term basis, and the airport or seaport through which you then entered. If this is less than 5 years before the date on which we receive the application, or less than 3 years before this date if you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you might not meet the residence requirement (see pages 4 and 5 of the Booklet AN) and your application may be unsuccessful.

2.2 Fill in this table showing the periods you have been away from the UK during the last 5 years (3 years if you are married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen). Insert the number of days you were away from the UK in the last column ignoring the day you left and the day you arrived back in the UK. If there is not enough room for all your absences then continue on page 15.Add up the total and write it in the space indicated.

Please note:You should also check that you were physically present in the UK 5 years

(3 years if you are married to or in civil partnership with a British citizen) before the date that the application will be received by the Home Office or other receiving authority (see page 17 “Where to send your application form”). If you do not meet this requirement your application is unlikely to be successful

Archived