Regulating your dogs play in quarantine exercise yards.

Archies owner

Most dog owners will be aware of this, but sometimes the excitement can take them over.

As the weather warms up, staff have made suggestions to most visitors not to play too rigorously with their dogs (such as ball retrieving games).

When I exercise dogs in quarantine (DISCLAIMER: as a private dog walker, not connected at all to quarantine), I sometimes have to create an opportunity for the older or more sedate dogs to run. But some dogs that are anxious or of a working dog breed need to be calmed down more than stirred up. Pent up energy in the pens will have to be released, but I also ensure that they have plenty of time outs. This means either removing the ball, giving them a drink or pat break. Regardless of how insistent they are - particularly in summer.

While most owners might spend an hour with their dogs once or twice a week as allowed by aqis at the moment, (if they are lucky to be in the same city), it can be very tempting to get the dog moving a lot, but as they are in small pens for a long time, their fitness can also rapidly deteriorate.

Over heating, over exertion, and torn ligaments are the main concerns.

Just thought I would throw this cautionary tale out there. Very hard for excited owners and excited dogs to self regulate some times!

Archived