Superannuation on a 457

Dan1357

Hi Its Katie,

I have just been offered a job with superannuation.

I am on a 457 visa to my partner as a defacto and I was wondering if I am entitled to this super fund. In addition what happens to the pension if we decide to go back to the UK

Thanks

Hi, you mean your partner is the "official" 457 visa holder, and you got it as default by being his partner? If so, I'd believe you have the same rights and you should be entitled to superannuation - just read what your visa letter says as not sure if it may be different depending on the case.

As per the pension, I think, not sure, you could do some kind of transfer? I heard something like that before, but you may need to check that.

Hope this helped a bit??

Good luck!

Most people who work in Australia get 9.25% (currently) of their gross pay paid into a superannuation account by their employer. There are a few exceptions for low-earners and young people. It's the law and has nothing to do with your visa.

If you're on a temp visa, once you leave the country and your visa is cancelled you can get the superannuation balance paid to you (less tax, of course).

If you're on a permanent visa you don't have this option. The balance must stay here until you reach retirement age.

Even on a temp visa, you can leave the balance in Australia (if you want) until you reach retirement age whereupon you can withdraw it, tax-free.

Archived