Some questions...

SaffaInLondonMovingToOz

Hi all,

Thanks for taking some time to read my post & hopefully you will reply :)

I am due to move to Australia in April'14, but having some doubts. So I just wanted to get my facts straight about a few key things, before I make my final decision.

- I don't want to buy a car for the first year as I am coming over on a trail of a year initially, even thought I do have PR. At the moment its a toss up between Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane, so is it possible to get around in any of these cities by using public transport alone? Is so, which one would be better?

- How hard is it to find a furnished rental? Coming from London I don't have much furniture, but I wasn't planning on shipping anything major over for the first year.

- Salary wise I have read that I need to multiply my current UK salary but 2.5 to get the AUD equivalent to maintain the same lifestyle. Is that really accurate? Cause that seems like a bit much! If I multiply my current London salary by 2.5 I am waaaaay out of the salary range for my profession (Senior.NET developer) in Australia and I am by no means "rolling in it" at the moment.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

I dont know many answers for you but we found furnished rental in sydney very quickly despite ppl saying we wouldn't and we had a few to choose from..obviously you have even more choice and little cheaper if u go unfurnished..we also found furnished rentals easy to come by in queensland. .although this was regional areas so don't know about brisbane. We didnt bring any furniture. We have a car but prefer to use public transport to get around sydney as it is quick, reliable and good value we have found..lots of ppl use just public transport in sydney..dont know about other places. I dnt know about the 2.5 thing..some ppl disagree wth it..we never went by that but actually that ratio has worked out about right for us. Good luck and you may not get the 'facts' u r looking for but you will probably get a few different opinions!

Archived