Melbourne Reccie - Ideas?

CaptainR

So we got the permanent residency visa last week and have decided to go for a quick activation trip and reccie for the family. We were torn about where to look at, I've been to Perth in August and my parents will be in Sydney in December (who we haven't seen in over a year). So we thought about Sydney, but the direct flight on the A380 from Dubai to Melbourne was considerably cheaper seems is just a lot less hassle with two kids in tow, flights to Sydney in the same price range with Emirates/Qantas all seemed to change in Melbourne... The pricing out here in the sandpit makes no sense.

So we settled on flying to Melbourne for three days next month (may stay for longer, it depends as I have to go to Singapore shortly afterwards with work).

I'm looking for some ideas on what would be worth seeing and which area to stay in with the children. I've rented a 4WD for the time we are there and would like to have a look at the countryside as well as the beaches. We also plan to meet a friend for coffee at some point.

Would be great to here some ideas of a short trip. For info about us, we are a couple in our late twenties with kids aged 3 and 6.

if you have just 3 days, it will be difficult to put the 4x4 to good use.

If you have the time, I would recommend heading out towards the high country (dargo/Walhalla/woods point etc) and explore some of the fantastic countryside out there, but you would lose half a day travelling each way. Happy to give you more tips if you feel you have time.

really, I would look at maybe spending a day on Philip island, head out to Healesville maybe or otherwise head in the opposite direction and spend a couple of days around the otways and the great ocean road.

just thought of another one.

We have also stayed at Halls gap lakeside caravan park and the amenities are excellent, and you can spend a couple of days exploring the Grampians (no beaches) There are also a few basic dirt tracks you could explore through the Grampians as well.

Guest The Pom Queen

It will take you 3 days to get over the jet lag. If you are staying longer I would say Wilsons Prom, white beaches, wombats, kangaroos, emus, lovely walks. Its perfect.

Philip Island is another place to head for a full day including the Penguin Parade.

Thanks for the ideas. I've started looking at hotels in Philips Island and will take a look at the other places mentioned as well.

Jet lag hopefully will be minimal because I've chosen an overnight direct flight from Dubai (we live a few hours drive from Dubai Airport). I fly a lot with work longhaul and go straight into meetings and it doesn't bother me, but really hoping the kids will sleep on the way across. Part of the reason I've hired a 4WD is so that they can nap in the car seats.

Really would love to have more time, but work commitments are pretty heavy at the moment.

Archived