HSV Maloo -> UK; Good idea?

surfndirt

Hi All,

What ya's reckon? Ship back a 2008 HSV Maloo ute. Been seriously considering it - can you imagine (if a petrol head, of course) hammering it down the M1 in one of them..... Also, I have regular day dreams of screamin along the Autobahn taking on S5's and M5's at 280kph.

They sell for a pretty penny in the UK too. Could run if for a year and then flog it for a house deposit (not a London house, of course).

Just a bit of day dream kinda fun for a run of the mil Monday....

Discuss (if you want)

Don't think the Maloo will keep up with the M5 (especially at those speeds) unless heavily modified!!! Even the old V10 (what an engine!) was known for it's high speed performance. Would be an unusual sight on UK roads though I can imagine. It's a personal decision whether to sell or keep.

I want to know where to change the speedo to mph from km/h and when too.

Don't think the Maloo will keep up with the M5 (especially at those speeds) unless heavily modified!!! Even the old V10 (what an engine!) was known for it's high speed performance. Would be an unusual sight on UK roads though I can imagine. It's a personal decision whether to sell or keep.

I want to know where to change the speedo to mph from km/h and when too.

You have to do it before driving on UK roads - heaps of kits on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/kph-mph-speedo.

Not sure if stickers are going to work too well...they don't light up at night for starters. Nice idea though. Looks like one would have to buy a new instrument cluster!

It's all that's legally required, we spent a long time looking into the mods required for my OH's beloved Skyline. We didn't bring it back in the end, it made more financial sense to buy a new one - funnily enough the speedo is only in Km, been imported a few years ago, had a number of MOT's in the UK and it doesn't seem to be a problem - I guess the law changed somewhere along the way.

Just get a dial set from a breaker in the UK. They'll have the MPH setup. There are a few out there specifically for VXR8s and Monaros.

And you need a fog light (with a button that illuminates). That's it.

There are a few about. Vauxhall sell them officially, but not many. Used to see one often in Henley.

A bit more character than the typical German stuff (which leaves me cold).

B

(HSV GTS owner).

Guest sidster

Am taking mine back next year , you can change speedo fascia to a mph one they are about, i have managed to acquire 2 one for a G8 (US) and recently a HSV badged one in MPH .

With the work i have had done on the engine it will eat an M5 for breakfast !! Nurburgring here we come !!

Am taking mine back next year , you can change speedo fascia to a mph one they are about, i have managed to acquire 2 one for a G8 (US) and recently a HSV badged one in MPH .

With the work i have had done on the engine it will eat an M5 for breakfast !! Nurburgring here we come !!

Sidster - I like the sound of ya mate :-)

Great to hear you are gonna take it - also, you have the same idea. Will be like being a celeb on the drive home in one of them, bugger the cost. I was actually thinking of getting a cheap tranny van as well.

I see you are in Bacchus - ride bikes up Lerderderg every weekend. Sometimes Greendale too. Good part of the world hey.

I'm going back (via Texas) for a good time, not a long time.... hhhahahhah

If i ever go back to the UK I have thought about the same thing!

Insurance permitting go for it.

Just out of curiosity let us know the price if you do manage to get an insurance quote.

Dan

Will do - bugeting about a grand (pounds) I reckon

Just get a dial set from a breaker in the UK. They'll have the MPH setup. There are a few out there specifically for VXR8s and Monaros.

And you need a fog light (with a button that illuminates). That's it.

There are a few about. Vauxhall sell them officially, but not many. Used to see one often in Henley.

A bit more character than the typical German stuff (which leaves me cold).

B

(HSV GTS owner).

Yeah, just can't get the image of hammerin it past a winner in his 3 series with flames comin out the back of me v8 ute..... I'm not an attention kinda person but rollin round in one of them would be pretty bloody cool I reckon

Archived