Anyone Gone Back to Uk a Very long Way so shipping gets there first?!

ab80

I have decided to move back to the UK after 9 years in Australia.

As shipping takes around ten weeks, I have figured I may as week take a 9 or 10 week holiday, and see some countries on the way back! Why not!

Has anyone done this if so any suggestions on itineraries please?

Moving back July next year.

Many thanks

No but we seriously considered it - we looked into travelling back overland via the trans-siberia railway.

This might give you some ideas...http://www.overlandtravel.biz/wordpress/?p=74

Our reccie we did on a round the world ticket and did Japan, Singapore, New Zealand and the US as well as Australia (obviously!)

Friends headed out to Australia via Europe (various countries), Morroco, Egypt..not sure where they went after that.

In the end we did a fairly straight forward trip home - KL, Sri Lanka, London, Edinburgh - we were bringing a cat and didn't want to subject her to a cattery at either end. I still want to do the Trans-Siberia one day though :)

We are thinking of doing that, but it will depend on OH's job situation. I want to see some more of Australia, he then wants to see Hawaii and maybe go via a couple of spots in the US to watch Nascar. But he also wants to ship his motorbike to Turkey and then ride it back to the UK through Europe. Originally he wanted to ride all the way but he can't get a visa for Russia from Australia (he would need a longer visa than the normal tourist visa).

We did also consider driving our 4x4 back, but with a little one on the way I'm very much tempted to put that into the 'too hard' basket!

I suppose any itinerary would depend on which countries you've already been to, are there any you really want to see, and how adventurous you are? I've visited Kazakhstan and Tajikistan and they are really different (anyone on this forum that thinks Australia is a vastly different country to live in compared to the UK really needs to get out more!), but fascinating especially Tajikistan it has the most awesome scenery. You could do south america then north america, we went to the US last year for 3 weeks and really enjoyed it.

How much money have you got? Antarctica? Much easier to get to from this end of the world.

Thanks all for the suggestions four corners, I will have a google. I have a flexible budget for flights, but will probably stay in backpacking hostels to make it cheaper. As I'm going solo I'm keen to join some tours or something. I just see it as a great opportunity to get to some awesome places whilst I can take a break from employment.

Archived