457 Visa advice

Guest Anchovie

Guest Anchovie

Hi all, I am new but very keen to learn & contribute if possible. Please can you help:

I will probably need to apply for a 457 visa with company sponsorship but am confused as to how this works. I need sponsorship from a company who would like to employ me but the visa process takes about a year (I guess) so how do I gain the commitment of an employer now for work in 12 - 18 months time - If I were the employer I would not be able to commit that far ahead.

Or have I misunderstood?

Please help.

Thanks

Guest sharman
Hi all, I am new but very keen to learn & contribute if possible. Please can you help:

I will probably need to apply for a 457 visa with company sponsorship but am confused as to how this works. I need sponsorship from a company who would like to employ me but the visa process takes about a year (I guess) so how do I gain the commitment of an employer now for work in 12 - 18 months time - If I were the employer I would not be able to commit that far ahead.

Or have I misunderstood?

Please help.

Thanks

Hi

Not sure, but wouldn't regional sponsorship be better for you?

We are applying for Skilled Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa subclass 475 visa in South Australia (due to my husbands Managerial skills not gaining enough points,) but office management is on the skills shortage list for Adelaide (and Tas,) so this is our route in!

What you have to do is get your skills assessed before applying to the region for sponsorship, then once you have the green light from the region - apply for the visa! It allows you 3 years in Oz, but you are tied to the region who sponsored you. You can also apply for Perm Res after 2 years of living and 1 year of working.

This post maybe way off the mark - but it may be a good way in for you!

Lisa xx

Guest sharman
Thanks for your reply, do you know how to find out what states have what skills shortage?

I trawled through the Oz Gov website and found what I needed - take a look by following the link below:

Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 475)

Then I visited all of the independent regional sites, so for example:

www.immigration.sa.gov.au

If South Oz does not feature your skill set, do the same for for the other regions by replacing the region (sa) with the other regions in the web address - each website will have a pull down for their specific occupations for provisional sponsorship.

I hope it helps!!

Lisa

Guest Gollywobbler

Hell Anchovie

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

What makes you believe that you will need employer sponsorship?

How old are you and what is your skill, please?

What you calculate the points test, what total do you get?

Have you spoken with any Registered Migration Agents about what might be possible in your situation?

I'm not being nosey, honest! I'm just concerned to find out whether or not employer-sponsorship really is the only option for you and, if so, why?

Employer-sponsored visas can be processed pretty quickly - less than six months in total - but first let us make sure whether this really is the only and/or the best option for you, I suggest.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest deedardingle

were quite new to the site too. my agent reccons i would be around 4-5 months from start to finish, different job to yours (dental nurse) but i guess the process is the same

time to get the paint brushes out and spruce uor place up a bit i think

Guest landerson78

Hi there hope this helps. Im going through a nursing agency who has reccomended 457 visa. My recruitment consultant has informed me that when they get me a job I will get a nomination number that has to be used on the 457 application form and after reading info on the immi website the process on this visa only takes about 2-3 months. So she said she will have me a job in approx 2 weeks then I will start applying for the visa hopefully get it for june/july time then we are hoping to move out oct 08 to start work.

Lou:smile:

Guest Frenchy79

Depends what you do.....I am actually coming out to work as a recruitment consultant on a 457 visa as believe it or not we are in short supply in Oz. I have been told by my new company who are sponsoring me it will take about 8 weeks only! So really depends on your situation and skillset really. Friends of mine who are accountants for example who also live in Oz have gained a visa anything between 6-16 weeks again using a 457 sponsored visa.

Guest BullcreekBob
Hi there hope this helps. Im going through a nursing agency who has reccomended 457 visa.

G'day Lou

Nursing agencies will recommend you going on a 457 visa because that way THEY earn money for each week that you work and being on the temporary visa you are tied to that employer.

If you have nursing skills, you can also get a permanent visa which will give you the ability to work when and where and as you want. It will also make you eligible to remain in Aus permanently, be able to recieve government benefits like Family tax benefit (child allowance), first home owners grant, stamp duty relief, full medicare benefits, etc...

A permanent visa will take longer to arrange but it will put you in a far better position financially and legaly.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Nursing agencies will recommend you going on a 457 visa because that way THEY earn money for each week that you work and being on the temporary visa you are tied to that employer.

A permanent visa will take longer to arrange but it will put you in a far better position financially and legaly.

I came over on a 457. Personally it doesnt matter what the ageny earns!! As long as the nurse gets to Oz!

Yeah you are tied to that employer and sometimes it can be ****! You might hate your job. Maybe I am a lucky one. After 4months in my job on a 457 my manager was complaining how much I was costing her! I said "buy me out and give me a contract". The next day I had a contract! Im still there three years later!

Only hassle with 457 being a temp visa is that you are NOT guaranteed permanent residency. You have to apply and then face the waiting game again, go through all medicals again, police checks again........It all depends what you are looking for.

Hi...

i am studying occupational therapy and will graduate next year, where do you recc i look to get an employer to sponsor me? i would have no work experience, will this have a negative affect, dont know if you can help me!

Guest itskaren

I am a nurse on a e457 visa (which the agency said I needed to get). I am 2 months into a 12 month contract. If I had the chance to so it again I would get a perm.visa instead of a e457. I was told I get a 'living away from home allowance' but as soon as I stared I was not no. No benefit whatsoever in a e457 visa in my opinion!

Archived