transferring military pension to oz

Hi Andrew

My broader financial questions might warrant a private message, if that is allowed.

I am dual national, born australia but living and working in the UK for 20 years. I am coming to the end of my 16 years military service and returning to Oz with my husband and 2 kids. I will be in receipt of my military pension of approx £11k from next June and expect to receive my tax free gratuity of about £30 at about the same time. As you will well know, the pension is not index linked until age 55 (16 years away, holy cr*p I'm old).

I have an australian tax file number somewhere in a file on a boat approaching fremantle. Not sure if that is in any way relevant, but I believe somewhere there is about $120 in an AMP super fund (ie I already have something with my name on it), dated about 1997 I should think.

I will not be working in oz until at least 2015. And after that I hope to work part time for a further few years before returning to full time (and a super input from employer). My earning power is a bit unknown as we are not going to be in canberra or sydney, but in the UK I would realistically earn £40-60k full time if I stayed. But I realise I have no super and at 39 I am very concerned about this. What are my options with my pension? Apart from the £30k, I have some additional savings of my own I can add if there are any one-off lump sum super events that my dad has talked about.

Grateful for any advice.