How long does each states summers last in Oz?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Probably the first thing you need to learn is the difference between a state and a city.

These are all cities, not states.

I know that, lol. I was just naming them for reference points. :wink:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF
Put Darwin down for 12 months mate.

It is becoming clear already that the summers, or long periods of great hot sunny weather in Australia are far more sustained over longer periods and can be classed as proper summers, whereas our summers in the UK are British summers, but not really summers at all, just improved weather over a short period of time.

Guest Guest 47403
It is becoming clear already that the summers, or long periods of great hot sunny weather in Australia are far more sustained over longer periods and can be classed as proper summers, whereas our summers in the UK are British summers, but not really summers at all, just improved weather over a short period of time.

There still summers mate British summers, read an article the other day on what makes them pretty much unique in the world will try and find it.

I can put in Mackay if you want, I think that's up higher and where Bobj lives, if it is he can tell us how many months he has with 4 to 5 days per week of mid twenty plus degrees of weather each week.

The city is a bit cooler than where I live, Huffie...about 10 months of 20 plus in the city and 11 months in my village. (we are right on the coast and the city is slightly inland.) June and July will see a few days where it struggles to get to 22 C...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
The city is a bit cooler than where I live, Huffie...about 10 months of 20 plus in the city and 11 months in my village. (we are right on the coast and the city is slightly inland.) June and July will see a few days where it struggles to get to 22 C...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Is Mackay anywhere near halfway between Cairns and Brisbane, or am I miles out?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I was just wondering how long roughly in weeks or months do the summers last in each state or area in Australia, say for instance, the mid twenties, mostly sunny at least 4 to 5 days per week. We have just had about 3 months here in the UK, usually we have no more than one month in a normal year.

Brisbane? 8 to 9 months

Mackay? 11 months.

Perth? 8 months.

Darwin? 12 months.

Adelaide?

Cairns? 12 months.

Hobart?

Sydney?

Canberra?

Melbourne? 6 months.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Of course Canberra is actually in a Territory and not a State though :P

How many hot months does Canberra have? Cheers

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Most of the states, apart from Tasmania, perhaps, are just too big to generalise about their temperatures and climates. I know in winter in NSW, it can be below freezing in some parts, and 21 degrees up near Qld.

Most people live in the capital cities anyway. They do sometimes say that 'NSW' stands for 'Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong!'

How long does summe/winter last in Sydney? This year has been odd. My brother Mick complained bitterly about how cold our other brother's house was when he stayed there in June, sleeping in the rumpus room. But in my flat I hardly noticed the cold, did not use a heater for most of the time. I expect it will pretty well be summer now for the next six months.

How many months in Sydney matey? Cheers.

Anyone know about Adelaide?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I was just wondering how long roughly in weeks or months do the summers last in each state or area in Australia, say for instance, the mid twenties, mostly sunny at least 4 to 5 days per week. We have just had about 3 months here in the UK, usually we have no more than one month in a normal year.

Brisbane? 8 to 9 months

Mackay? 11 months.

Perth? 8 months.

Darwin? 12 months.

Adelaide?

Cairns? 12 months.

Hobart?

Sydney?

Canberra?

Melbourne? 6 months.

These figures are crazy, don't you get fed up with it being so warm for so long, I know I would...............n't, lol

Guest Guest 47403
About 950 km north of Briz and 700 km south of Cairns, Huffie; roughly midway.

Cheers, Bobj.

Do you have crocs mate??

Guest Guest 47403
These figures are crazy, don't you get fed up with it being so warm for so long, I know I would...............n't, lol

Must be hell!!

Skani has said Hobart is about 4 months, I think Adelaide is about 6 months, Adelaide is also the driest state capital.

Guest Guest 47403
Adelaide, that is South Australia and its only purpose is to keep Via and WA apart...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Bit harsh bob.

Is the answer you want to hear..everyday it's in the 20's, Australia is just amazing...! Ha

Not 20 every day but yes it is amazing!

Nowhere near as hot in Melbourne as places at similar latitude and elevation in Europe. Eg. check out the summer maximums and averages for places like Seville, Athens, Cyprus and Sicilly and then look at Melbourne's averages. The places on the Med are heaps hotter.

There is a widely used climate classification system called the Koppen climate classification that puts Melbourne in the same category as London.

Victoria may have higher extremes than the UK (in terms of heat) but overall the climate is remarkably similar, especially when you get up into the hills.

I live in the hills, and its definitely nothing like London's climate. (I was born and lived in London) We do get high rainfall, but again that is just where we are in the dandenongs, we get 4-5 frosts a year normally and temps might drop just below freezing half a dozen times, but we will get 10-15 degree daytime temps in the winter as well.

just had a glance on one of the weather sites, and next week is:

17,16,21,25,21,25,33 and we are just into spring.

Is Mackay anywhere near halfway between Cairns and Brisbane, or am I miles out?

Isn't it time you invested in a LARGE map of Australia?

I moved to Newcastle NSW 3 months ago (2 hours from Sydney). In July it averaged about 16 during the day and was cold at night in the mornings. This was mid winter.

From end of August onwards, spring was bypassed (according to locals) and we have gone straight into summer. Everyday is above 20 degrees and a fair few are above 30 degrees including today. Bush fire season has started early.

Most days are sunny and even on the few days it has rained there has been some sun too.

We are loving the weather here but understand that it's not normal - just like the UK's exceptional summer this year.

Archived