Medical/health insurance question

hubbert0403

Hi guys, when we came over last October my husbands employer suggested their preferred medical insurance company, which is QBE.....after recently visiting a consultant I have found out I need an operation on my knee, this is when we have found out that QBE are not a recognised medical insurance company but more like travel insurance, so are unable to pay for operation.

so we tried to get the right medical insurance but have been told as we are on a reciprocal Medicare card we are not able to get medical insurance, and Medicare will not pay, I want to know how other people have managed and how they expect you to afford over $7k for one operation, without physio etc.

we are currently on 457 applying for PR at the end of this month

Even if you are eligible for a Reciprocal Medicare Card (Medicare) you are still able to purchase private health insurance. There are a number of reputable health insurance providers including Bupa, Medibank, Iman, HCF etc.

When you are looking for cover make sure you specifically look for hospital cover and look at whether they cover hip and knee surgery. Most of them do cover your in-hospital costs including doctor's fees. Just check if your doctor participates in the medical gap scheme and if you will be up for any out-of-pocket expenses.

The other important thing to find out is if there are any waiting periods before you can claim with the surgery or treatment that you need.

In addition to hospital cover, extras cover will ensure you can get some reinbursement for Physio treatment that you might need afterwards. You can often get a package that combines both hosptial and extras. Or you can select them individually yourself.

Goodluck, hope you are able to get the treatment that you need.

Archived