WARNING an expensive mistake (health fund)

Gethsemene

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I came out last year on a temp visa and then applied and got permanent residency. When I arrived I searched online for private health insurance and went with HIF, not because they were the cheapest, but because they had the best package. On the phone I explained my position as a resident for tax purposes, but on a temp visa and gave my medicare details (reciprocal card at that point), what was never explained to me was that the cover they gave me (temporary resident cover) does NOT cover me for tax purposes with reference to the medicare levy. I discovered this today having received an additional bill of over $2k surcharge for not having private insurance. Lesson learned, but advice for those coming out, check your cover exempts you from the medicare surcharge, or you may regret it!!!

Ben

I think you may have a case for compensation - it sounds like you were given bad advice. HBF sold us the wrong policy for our circumstances and we got compensation when we took it to the Private Health Insurance ombudsman - have a look here http://www.phio.org.au

Love your attitude though and the fact you are sharing to help others - you deserve to get some of your money back :)

Archived