Hopefully moving to Manly next year...

jessicat

Hi everyone! As the subject says, I am hopefully moving to Manly next year. I'm 26 years old and currently live in Scarborough, UK. I'm making the move alone in hope of finding a better life for myself in Aus.

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the best place for me to look for residence in Manly? I'm finding everything quite stressful at the moment, trying to piece it all together. I'm hoping to get a transfer to work at Manly Sea Life Sanctuary as that is what I do here in Scarborough, but if that doesn't work out then I'll be job hunting when I arrive.

Anything you guys can tell me or advise me on would be a great help.

Thank you! :)

Jessicat, my family and I lived in Sydney's northern suburbs (St. Ives) for two years between 2008-2010, but had to return to USA for family reasons. We intend to return to the St. Ives area in late 2014, if all goes well. I also lived in Manly way back in 1963-1964 when I was a youngster. It remains my favourite spot in Sydney, but we decided not to relocate there as it is very touristy, pretty much all the time. That being said, you are young and that may not bother you, and in fact may give you social opportunities. I would start your housing search on the grand daddy of Aussie real estate sites, http://www.realestate.com.au. Select your requirements and see what comes up. There are also many short term solutions (motels, serviced apts, etc) that you could book, and then get someting more permanent when you get there. I am not sure what housing costs are in Scarborough, but be prepared for sticker shock. There isn't much in Oz that comes cheap, and especially not in Manly. If too dear, there are many other suburbs in the Northern Beaches that may satisfy you. Please do not hesitate to e-mail me if I can give you more detailed assistance; I know my way around the place pretty well =)

• 2 weeks later...

Manly really is a great place to live, but as Seppo mentioned, it is pricey!!! I'm currently living in Manly and the way I did it when I arrived was to move into a hostel, as they're cheaper and easier than finding your own place straight away. They also give you the chance to meet people easily, require no bond/deposit, no lease, no bills etc.. Then once you're settled look online at realestate or if you just want to rent a room have a look at www.gumtree.com.au.

My sister tried to get a job at the sea life sanctuary a while back but they had no jobs going as the positions are highly sort after! So email them way in advance to find out about working there. Good luck with it all, and let us know if you have any questions.

Archived