Beware 'Free Storage Offer'

Silver Lady

I recently moved to Perth and used a well known international removal company. They were very professional and the packers were great. I don't know how my possessions have fared as I'm still awaiting customs clearance.

It was agreed that I would be given a months free storage when my good arrived as an incentive to booking this company. When I received a letter from the contractors in Perth letting me know my goods had arrived, I rang them and requested the free months storage. I was told this was fine but it would cost me $219 container handling fee. I asked how much they would charge me for storage without the free offer and was told $41 per week. beware also of the 'free' air freight box offered as you will have to pay a handling fee when you pick it up from the airport....it pays to check folks!

Think we using the same company.... The packers in the UK were two nice enough blokes but we soon found out they don't actually work for the shipper, they are sub-contractors who actually do work for many of the big shipping companies. So the personal service you think you are getting with the chosen shipper isn't necessarily what you get. We have some concerns about the way some of our belongings were packed and have raised this with the shipper, who are being suitably vague at this point. Our consignment is yet to arrive in Perth so guess we will know in a few weeks time. We too had the free storage offer and having spoke to the agent here have now realised there are handling fees if we take it up. We did take the offer of the "free" air freight but we agreed to pay the £80 option for door to door delivery. As we weren't entitled to the 40 kilo baggage allowance with our airline this worked out a good option. The airline were charging something like £30 a kilo where as we got 25kilo for £80 delivered to our door, and it arrived only a few days after we did. Like you say, check everything out as best you can in advance as there seems to be hidden costs at every turn. We are just finding out now about the possible additional costs for importing our car, what a minefield!!! Good luck with your consignment, where in Perth / WA are you?

Think we using the same company.... The packers in the UK were two nice enough blokes but we soon found out they don't actually work for the shipper, they are sub-contractors who actually do work for many of the big shipping companies. So the personal service you think you are getting with the chosen shipper isn't necessarily what you get. We have some concerns about the way some of our belongings were packed and have raised this with the shipper, who are being suitably vague at this point. Our consignment is yet to arrive in Perth so guess we will know in a few weeks time. We too had the free storage offer and having spoke to the agent here have now realised there are handling fees if we take it up. We did take the offer of the "free" air freight but we agreed to pay the £80 option for door to door delivery. As we weren't entitled to the 40 kilo baggage allowance with our airline this worked out a good option. The airline were charging something like £30 a kilo where as we got 25kilo for £80 delivered to our door, and it arrived only a few days after we did. Like you say, check everything out as best you can in advance as there seems to be hidden costs at every turn. We are just finding out now about the possible additional costs for importing our car, what a minefield!!! Good luck with your consignment, where in Perth / WA are you?

Hi Mandy

I'm in Butler and staying with my family. Been here 7 weeks. Just had my offer accepted on a small house close to my family. I've done all the routine stuff like applying for my Medicare card and tax file number etc. Just bought a car (I wish I could have bought my little KA over with me, it was so reliable but getting on a bit, so I had to leave it behind!) good luck with importing your car, I'm sure the extra expense will be worth it in the end. I'm just enjoying being with my family. I have my three children, seven grandchildren and a brother all living in Butler. It was certainly worth the wait to get here!

I hope to hear that my goods have cleared customs next week (fingers crossed!) Good luck with your consignment Mandy and enjoy your new life in Australia......

Archived