Packing our own boxes - advise needed on all sorts of things !!

Dawn2002

Hello,

I hope everyone can give a bit of advice. We are starting to pack our boxes for our move next month and need a bit of advice on how I should pack certain items from those who have done it before.

1 - should I be wrapping the books, photos etc, vinyl records in paper ?

2- the shipper has given us plastic bags for clothes, I have read a previous thread about condensation/mould in the box and wondered if I should be putting some breathing holes in the bags to let the air in - or would this just make things worse ? or should they just go in a box ? (we don't have many spare suitcases)

3 - Should I wrap the TV, computer etc (computer will be going in a box) in a plastic bag after covering them in bubble wrap ?

I cant think of anything else right now, but I am sure I will do so if there is any other tips please let me know.

Thanks in advance, Dawn

Hi, we have friends who moved to perth a 18mths ago and one tip he gave us was you know those little silicone gel sachets you get in new handbags/purses etc? you need to put a few of these in with your computer/tv etc as they absorb moisture. Also if you're taking anything from the garden i.e. lawnmower or bikes etc, they need to be steamcleaned so they are immaculate and have no trace of grass or soil on them and then wrapped in clingfilm, also attach a note stating they have been steam cleaned!

We're on our way to Sydney in the new year so will be doing all this ourself soon!! xx

Thanks for the above, I'll try to get some Gel Sachets and vacuum bags on Amazon. Can I just ask, did the shippers do the steam cleaning for you or did you do that yourself too ? We are only taking the bikes and our double buggy from outside (I have bought some new tyres for the buggy)

Thanks for the above, I'll try to get some Gel Sachets and vacuum bags on Amazon. Can I just ask, did the shippers do the steam cleaning for you or did you do that yourself too ? We are only taking the bikes and our double buggy from outside (I have bought some new tyres for the buggy)

People generally clean things themselves. Its not difficult. Zoflora or some such is good to use. Some use Jeyes but its nasty stuff IMHO. Better things are out there.

If you had the shippers steam clean things it would cost a fortune I would imagine. I am not even sure its in their remit.

Archived