dental insurance melbourne???

jkm10

hi, I have recently moved to Melbourne. on a 457 visa. living in Melbourne cbd.

just joined medicare under reporical health agreement (im from UK), also bought ambulance insurance.

I now want dental insurance. a few companies I have seen offer dental insurance but this includes ambulance cover, physio, optical etc. I don't really want to have to pay for things I don't need to use, plus I have already bought ambulance insurance.

is it worth me getting dental insurance? I have heard that dentists can be very expensive, or is the price I pay for insurance just going to even out the price I would pay without insurance, if I was just getting check ups every 6months?

can anyone recommend any companies - it's just for me as a single - no family/dependents?

as said above I live in Melbourne cbd so I want insurance that offers dentists in this area, any ideas?

thanks jess :-)

The policy for dental is covered by the private health funds extras cover which includes the other services as well. Personally if you are not always at the dentist is it worth it. You need to find out exactly what they will cover and then you need to find a dentist who has fees that suit the fund. Dentists are cheap or dear. My friend just had caps on her front teeth and it cost her four grand.

There is a winner on the extras policies and I do not believe its the patient lol

thanks petals. im not really sure what to do. I guess it will be worth me enquiring about some prices of local dentists, I will more than likely only be going for check ups which hopefully wont cost that much, but I guess the fear is if I needed any fillings or any work - I couldn't really afford to pay a few hundred or even a few grand out. thanks anyway for your help :-) x

Some health insurers offer just dental insurance. Many offer it as part of an extras cover. I personally have a high level of extras cover and usually pay about $11-$20 when I go for a check up every 6 months. I've also had four wisdom teeth out in the chair and was only out of pocket about $200.

You can also shop around with your dentists as some of them offer 'no gaps' service and will accept only what you get back from your insurer.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived