packing for a WHV

RebeccaWinchcombe1

Hey, I go to Oz in sept also! Where abouts are you heading first?

Not sure about what clothes to take but me and my mate are taking a suitcase :) Think you only need to take like enough clothes for max 2 weeks though, so its gonna be hard! haha

Nic x

I'd pack a good variety of staple basics. Tees in various colours and styles, shorts, pair of jeans, skirt or two, sweater (or two). Plus some kind of smarter clothes for interviews but obviously not too OTT. Or buy the interview outfit once you arrive is also good. Second hand shops can be a real bonus for that sort of thing if you are prepared to dig around a bit. Same for other stuff.

Things you can wear one day and then mix with something else the next. So shorts or skirt that can go with 2 or 3 tops. You won't be doing as much washing of clothes as you maybe do now ;) Buy stuff that you can wash by hand if need be and will dry quick. A couple of maxi dresses or summer dresses might be good also as they can be crinkle style and squish small to pack. Plus wash and dry well and can be casual and dressed up.

Don't forget some shoes. I like a good pair of sandals or some such I can still actually walk a long distance in. Nothing strappy or heels or things I can't walk in as tbh those are things you can pick up if you really need a pair. Pair of trainers and buy a pair of Blundstones once there if needing walking boots or work boots.

Personally I always take a back pack when travelling. I like being able to carry it on my back and dragging a suitcase along a street walking to a hostel from a bus/tram/tube/train is never fun. I take a suitcase on holiday for 2 weeks sure, but something like a year on a WHV, backpack all the way. Not only for the added bonus of being able to put sleeping bag, sleep mat, water bottle and stuff on the outside rather than taking up precious room on the inside. Plus they make a brill pillow or seat when needed.

Travel light but take decent basics is my rule of thumb. Put out everything you think you want to take, then halve it. Then halve it again and you are probably about where you need to be ;) A year is a long time and there are shops in Aus ;) Also high fashion doesn't really apply in 30C plus temps. You just want to be cool and shorts and tee or light dress are usually the go to then. Who wants to be wearing a pair of leggings with shorts over and a top and shirt or whatever the fashion is atm. Its about comfort in hot temps, not how good you can look I reckon.

Hey, I go to Oz in sept also! Where abouts are you heading first?

Not sure about what clothes to take but me and my mate are taking a suitcase :) Think you only need to take like enough clothes for max 2 weeks though, so its gonna be hard! haha

Nic x

Hey nic thanks for replying... going to Brisbane first then seeing where I end up lol.

Archived