Carpentry work required in Brisbane (flexible with area)

TGW1221

Hi everyone

Does anyone know of any carpentry work available in Brisbane (preferably long term). We are moving there on a permanent residency visa in August. We are flexible with the area. 25 years experience, excellent references. Looking to start work Mid September when container arrives.

Many thanks all!!

Neil & Teri

• 1 month later...

Brilliant news.Im a chippy too,and me and my family are moving over next year. And i do worry about work, so any advise or just become new friends would be great. we are moving anywhere in goldy bris or sunshine where ever there is work really. I have been a carpenter for 16-17 years and have the best references. Im 32 from essex

Hi, I worried a lot about hub getting a job and he was lucky, although there are plenty of carpentry jobs advertised. He checked out seek.com.au regularly and you can also try the local newspapers in the place you want to settle. bare in mind, a lot of employers want you to start straight away, so if your tools are stuck on a container for 6 weeks.......! Hub bought a load of new tools here as most of them are cheaper so he had a few to start with and the guys on his site are happy to lend tools to help each other out. first thing I would say is to get an Aussie sim card for your phone so get it unblocked in the UK. A lot of people here won't return your calls if they have to ring a UK mobile number. Hub tops his up with $30 a month and he gets quite a good deal with Vodaphone. I don't know if you're selling up to come here but we rent our house out in the UK. I'm glad we did as it is expensive out here and it will feel like you're constantly spending to get by. Aldi are one of the cheaper supermarkets and there are some good butchers and fishmongers out here plus fruit and veg markets. Just ask around for the best places and you will find doing that cheaper.

We've been told by the Aussie's the work is around Brisbane and it's getting better. His workmates were on $44 per hour before the recession hit and now it's $33. Not great but okay. Better to work for yourself. I'm sure you've done lots of research yourself so I won't waffle on much longer. We stayed in Narangba near North Lakes for a couple of weeks but the area wasn't for us. Some nice houses but they were so close together and North Lakes is like a maze to drive around and the traffic coming away from the city during rush hour north bound is terrible. The upside, North Lakes will have a Costco and Ikea going in soon.

You'll find you will rely on other peoples kindness like we have had to. That's not a bad thing. If you need a nice, reasonably cheap place to stay, try looking on http://www.stayz. com.au. as soon as you have a date, try and book on there. Some are a lot cheaper than hotels and you will have all your mod cons etc. We stayed with a lovely Scottish family in Narangba.

Hub said pm for our email address and when you arrive, he'll try and hook you up with some work. We are going into our rental in a place called Moggill towards Pine Mountain on Wednesday at last! No more living out of suitcases :) . Moggill is about 35 mins from Brisbane city, so handy for work and the airport. It's in the countryside with a village feel.

I could tell you some places to avoid but I don't want to offend anyone, so pm me if you want to know :wink:

Good luck to you and your family.

Archived