ETA Visa

DJ78

Hi there,

Has anybody had any experience of the following...

My husband has been invited to apply for a state sponsorship visa and we are within the 60 day time frame in which to submit the application.

Before we take the final steps, my parents have agreed to look after the kids for 10 days so that we can go over and see what life in Oz is like. We booked our tickets yesterday but when we looked into the Visa options for coming over as a visitor, it states the following

If you have another visa pending (for example a visa under the General Skilled Migration program) you should be careful not to apply for an ETA around the same time as your application is processed through the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship. Your application for temporary ETA could affect the status of your permanent visa

We haven't actually submitted the application for the Visa but have been invited. How would we stand?

Please advise if you have experienced this yourself.

Many thanks

Danielle

Guest GeorgeD
Hi there,

Has anybody had any experience of the following...

My husband has been invited to apply for a state sponsorship visa and we are within the 60 day time frame in which to submit the application.

Before we take the final steps, my parents have agreed to look after the kids for 10 days so that we can go over and see what life in Oz is like. We booked our tickets yesterday but when we looked into the Visa options for coming over as a visitor, it states the following

If you have another visa pending (for example a visa under the General Skilled Migration program) you should be careful not to apply for an ETA around the same time as your application is processed through the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship. Your application for temporary ETA could affect the status of your permanent visa

We haven't actually submitted the application for the Visa but have been invited. How would we stand?

Please advise if you have experienced this yourself.

Many thanks

Danielle

What Nationality are you? UK passport holders stopped being eligible for the ETA visa around 4-5 years ago.

What DIAC are warning you about is having two applications in progress (which is fine) and having the tourist one approved after the PR one...the second one will cancel the first one. If you get a tourist visa and then get approved for PR this isn't a problem. If you get PR first and then your tourist one is approved, it cancels your PR...which is a bit of a disaster.

Get a tourist visa now then when it has been approved, apply for PR. that way the tourist visa won't be approved last.

UK Passport holders should apply for the eVisitor tourist visa (subclass 651) for short visits of up to 3 months. This is free to apply for via the DIAC website.

Thanks for your quick reply. We are British. So from what you're saying then, we don't even need the ETA and need to get the eVisitor tourist visa.

Whilst writing this I have just been onto the website and looks very straight forward. Thanks so much for your advice.

Guest GeorgeD

The ETA is for people from the USA/Canada, plus a few places in Asia like Hong Kong, Brunei, South Korea, Malaysia and one or two others. UK passport holders used to apply for it, but the eVisitor one came out a few years back and all EU passport holders apply for that now instead. Yes, it is very simple....your application can take as little as a few hours to be approved. My Dad has had two. The first one took 2 days, the second took 2 weeks. My first one took a few hours from me hitting submit to receiving approval. It's free. If you are being asked for payment then you are either applying for the wrong visa or you are on the wrong website...migration agents and travel agents can forward the application for you and charge for their services, so you may as well do it direct with DIAC for nothing.

Archived