Is a Business Degree useful on a WHV?

Ryanhealey

Hi, I am travelling to Perth with my brother on a Working Holiday Visa. He is a fabricator/welder so should have no problem finding work in his field. However, I don't have a trade, but do have a Business Management degree. Does anyone know if it would be possible to put this to use? I don't mind doing any type of work but would be great to do something related to this (maybe being able to get sponsored?) I'm not very clued up on this so thought I would just ask and find out.

I have also worked as a hospital porter for 5 years and was wondering about the rules on working for a hospital on the WHV? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Ryan

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I view the WHV as a more temporary thing to supplement funds and so on while having a long holiday. Hence me in the camp that says don't worry about it, just look for casual work, live a little, see as much of Aus as possible and have a blast. And if you like it enough to want to go back on a more permanent basis, do so once you've used the WHV and travelled. Of course, that requires you have skill or trade on the wanted list and all that but if you want something enough, you can make it happen with a bit of hard work and effort I always reckon.

As for being sponsored, I think the profession still has to be on the list for sponsorship and all that so even if you find a job on your WHV that wants to keep you, if its not on the list, it can't happen afaik. If its any different I am sure someone will be along to put me right ;)

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I am up for just enjoying myself and seeing how I like it for the first twelve months anyway. I don't mind what the work is, I will just make sure I get my extended 12 month visa just in case :)

Another question, if my brother gets sponsored, due to having a trade, would I be able to stay with him seeing as I'm a family member? I know it wouldn't be as simple as that, and we may have to come home first but surely it's possible...

Archived