UK or AUS TAX for sole traders / freelancers

popper

I moved to Melbourne in Apr 2012 and have continued working as a freelancer for UK design agencies for most of the past year. I was still on the UK tax for the year ending Apr 2012 but have since been working for Australian agencies so and trying to figure out if it's wise, and for which country I should do my taxes (the other country would count as overseas earnings I gather).

I have worked for Aus recruiters and thus paid a certain amount if taz and annuation and I join the real life by going full-time permanent in June. I will however continue to take on projects (and pay) from UK clients.

Makes it a little confusing with my limited tax knowledge over here.

I intend to stay in Australia for at least another year and now have residency so this may continue longer (potentially forever but that's way down the line!) so it's not a short fix but longer term choice.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Or can recommend a decent (cheaply decent!) accountant with knowledge in UK/AUS tax changes.

I'm only just getting my head round some of the changes!!!

Thanks

If you are resident in Australia for tax purposes then you have to pay tax in Australia - this link may enable you to get an idea if you would be considered resident

http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/axos.asp?CONTEXT=&KBS=Resident.XR4&go=ok

It sounds like you most definitely are and it sounds like a decent accountant is definitely needed. I can recommend without hestitation Alan Collett's practice (he's a member on here) - our first year here where I had freelance income from the UK, rental income from the UK and a change in status from temp to PR, they did a fabulous job with ours - not cheap but thousands less than the rebate we got :)

Thanks. I'll chase down Alan.

100% resident (the visa has just passed go!) and have been employed here for tax purposes both contract (sort it all out myself) and agency (they have paid my super / tax).

They are never cheap!! :) The joy of having 4 incomes over 2 hemispheres huh!

Thanks. I'll chase down Alan.

100% resident (the visa has just passed go!) and have been employed here for tax purposes both contract (sort it all out myself) and agency (they have paid my super / tax).

They are never cheap!! :) The joy of having 4 incomes over 2 hemispheres huh!

We shouldn't complain, there are many unemployed in both countries let alone employed in both :)

I sure Alan or one of his partners will sort it out nicely for you.

Archived