Shipping quote - through employer

Mosa

We've had a rep around to look at the stuff we plan on shipping (Southampton - Sydney) in October. He estimated that we need 800cu.ft but suggested a sole use container. We got the quote this morning:

A$8500 + insurance at almost A$2000 for 22.7cu.m sole use container. It includes packing up here and unpacking in Sydney.

That's a hell of a lot more than I was expecting, probably 20-25% higher. Was I being naive? Is that really expensive or just what it costs? Is it somehow costing more because it is being organised from Australia?

From reading posts here i thought it would be around the £4k mark for shipping. Our quote is in dollars because it has been organised through my husband's new employer. They wouldn't tell us how much the shipping would be until we told them the value of our stuff. I've got a separate quote for the insurance (the same wild guess value because we haven't worked out the actual value yet) and that was about £500.

Replying to myself because now I think I have been naive about shipping costs. I think I am just sad that our relocation budget is well and truly busted!

(but on the bright side, we got our 457 visas yesterday and the house is on the market so this adventure is a-go!)

Archived