Anyone Been To The F1

stuffy123

if you don't take a decent set of ear defence each - you will regret it. big time. esp for kids i'd say the in the ear ones and the over the ear ones as their hearing is more delicate. obviously depends on how close you are - but it is necessary - coz although we might think they do - fingers in the ears just don't work! enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Pinhead

I went to the Melbourne GP at the start of my 3 week holiday back in 2002. A great event, well organised and easy to get to by Tram. Hotel room rates do skyrocket during the event though. I ended up having to communte in from Mentone to get a reasonable rate. Then again I didn't book until Jan.

I was in Melbourne only 3 days of my 3 week holiday but loved it so much I decided to apply for permanent residency. I lived in Melbourne for 6 months in 2004 before returning to the UK to earn some dosh before returning to Oz next February permanently. Melbourne is a fantastic city to live in with endless places to eat & has a very 'european feel' to it & with the most 'British' weather in Oz.

I've been to a lot of places in Oz & would recommend that everyone at least check out Melbourne before deciding where to settle.

Re the GP & earplugs.

When I went they were selling 'GP kits' for a few bucks that had ear plugs, sunscreen & a rain cover (always a good idea in Melbourne in the autumn!).

I would recommend getting a grandstand seat opposite a tv screen to get the most out of the race. They start around $400 a ticket for the full 3/4 day event rather than $99 for a general admission with no seat. It's worth going for at least 2 days (1 + race day) to see all the cars on show, etc.

If you want a great view of the race track & Melbourne try a trip up the Rialto tower, costs about $20 each but well worth it for the view on a sunny day.

Archived