You've probably all read it, BUT...

Guest Nelson

Guest Nelson

I have just had tears pouring down my cheeks laughing at Bill Bryson's 'Down Under'... I thoroughly recommend it if you haven't read it yet and, if you have, do you agree??? :D Can anyone recommend any more topical books - serious, funny, fiction - I'm a bookworm and love to read about where I'm going. Cheers!

Guest choobs
I have just had tears pouring down my cheeks laughing at Bill Bryson's 'Down Under'... I thoroughly recommend it if you haven't read it yet and, if you have, do you agree??? :D Can anyone recommend any more topical books - serious, funny, fiction - I'm a bookworm and love to read about where I'm going. Cheers!

Yeah, it made me laugh too - daisydeeds still hasn't read it, though, despite my constant nagging.

He does seem a little obsessive about the myriad things which can do you in over there though :)

Choobs

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Krista

Bill Bryson's book is hilarious, I agree! Another one is "In the Land of Oz" by Howard Jacobsen/Jacobson. Just tell Google to find it because all the second-hand booksellers can supply it for peanuts.

Jacobse/on had me Rolling in Mirth when I first read his book! He describes something like 350 people on a ship to Oz in 1788, accompanied by 7 or so Ladies & Gentlemen Of The Cloth. He remarks that this might seem a large number for the pastoral care of so few, but comments, "It was towards the aboriginal population that the sacerdotal fleet harboured its most rapaciously philanthropic desires." I just fell about, and that was only page two or so! The rest is just as amusing.

Cheers

Gill

Archived