extra quarantine charges

memmymooch

Hi all

well had communication from some shippers today and when reading through all the bumf came across this

EXTERNAL CONTAINER CLEANING

Upon arrival quarantine inspection can now include a check on the external condition of the shipping containers for

dirt, soil, bird droppings etc. This is a random check and we have no way of knowing if this will apply to your container .

However, the shipping lines exclude liability for this and the charge which can be expensive, is passed on to the owner

of the goods and is in addition to the normal quarantine inspection charges that may be levied against you for the

inspection and treatment of your Household Effects. PSS feel that it is unfair that some of our Customers have been

forced to pay this charge upon arrival of their containers, we are therefore offering our Clients the option of paying an

indemnity fee. If you elect to add this indemnity fee to your removal settlement then in the event that your container is

ordered for external cleaning the PSS indemnity fee will pay this charge. This only applies to external container

washing and not to any other quarantine charges relating to your Household Effects .

so my question is this standard? have other people come across this with their shipping companies

have not heard of it before although to be fair have not looked into the shipping in great depth as yet

Mem

PSS are one of the first companies to do this but I have to say that I think it is a good idea. They are right any container can be selected to be cleaned and as far as I am aware all shipping companies pass that cost on to the customer. How much do PSS charge and how much could the clean cost? I guess the question is how much of a problem would it be if you got a big unexpected bill with-in weeks of arriving in Oz?

We have not had a quote from PSS as they don't operate in our area but I actually told the rep from White's about this indemnity that they offer as it seemed such a good idea. He was going to take the idea back to the office and put it forward to the management.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Why should a shipping company pass the cost of cleaning of the external parts of 'the shipping companies container' to the customer and not absorb the cost themselves or via their own indemnity insurance?

Guest The Pom Queen

I think it's a great optional extra and for the sake of £35 I would be taking it out. I think John Masons do something similar.

You do NOT have to take this protection out if you don't want and apart from the two companies above the others (afaik) don't cover you at all, so if you are stopped in one of their random checks it could cost you $1000 plus.

I think it's a great optional extra and for the sake of £35 I would be taking it out. I think John Masons do something similar.

You do NOT have to take this protection out if you don't want and apart from the two companies above the others (afaik) don't cover you at all, so if you are stopped in one of their random checks it could cost you $1000 plus.

I don't think it's a bad thing and if is only £35 well that's a drop in the ocean considering the total cost of everything else it was just the first had ever heard mention of it will def raise the issue with any other companies we talk to to see what they say. We may end up just using a move cube anyway and not sure even how they are transported eg individually on ship or else several of them in larger container

Archived