Where to live?

drstu

Hi All,

We heading over probably end of this year ... me, my wife and two kids. I am a GP (doctor) and have a job offer in Newcastle. Although we have travelled in Aus before we never went to Newcastle.

With my occupation I am lucky that there are lots of opportunities to work across the country, as long as the area is designated a District of Workforce Shortage (DWS) for GPs. This is usually outer metro areas of most cities, although cities such as Newcastle and Canberra are DWS.

If you had a choice would you choose Newcastle, or go for somewhere else? I know that it comes down to personal preference but it would be interesting to hear people's thoughts ... outer Melbourne vs Newcastle vs outer Sydney.

Best wishes,

Stu.

I like Newcastle personally but some don't

Sure it's got some rough bits, it's a dock and industrial city - but plenty of non rough bits and prosperity as well. Superb coastline nearby, lovely countryside up the Hunter, much lower cost of living (ie housing) than main metro areas, only a couple of hours to Sydney if you want to visit/shop/whatever

Hi All,

We heading over probably end of this year ... me, my wife and two kids. I am a GP (doctor) and have a job offer in Newcastle. Although we have travelled in Aus before we never went to Newcastle.

With my occupation I am lucky that there are lots of opportunities to work across the country, as long as the area is designated a District of Workforce Shortage (DWS) for GPs. This is usually outer metro areas of most cities, although cities such as Newcastle and Canberra are DWS.

If you had a choice would you choose Newcastle, or go for somewhere else? I know that it comes down to personal preference but it would be interesting to hear people's thoughts ... outer Melbourne vs Newcastle vs outer Sydney.

Best wishes,

Stu.

Hi All,

Best wishes,

Stu.

I currently live in Canberra and before that Newcastle. If you need info send a PM and I'll be happy to respond.

Archived