Paying UK tax on UK rental income on a 457?

Littlesar70

Hello! Can anyone help me to understand if we have any tax allowances in the UK if we come to Oz on a 457? I've done lots of google searching but not found an answer I can understand. I've looked into registering as a 'non resident landlord' and having our rental income taxed by the agency who manage the house, and I would expect this to be the case if we were PR in Oz, but what about temporary residents? Do we still get any tax free allowance for income in the UK, or do we have to pay 20% on everything??

If anyone can recommend a decent tax accountant in the UK who knows his expat/ temp resident stuff, that would be great as our local one doesn't.

I've just spent 2 (useless) hours on the HMRC website and I'm still non the wiser! :confused:

Thank you!

If you are a UK citizen you still get your personal allowance each year.

The non-resident landlords scheme, as you have probably worked out, is about whether the agent has to deduct tax from their payments to you. If you are up to date with your tax affairs etc. HMRC allow you to receive your money gross and then pay tax later after you complete your tax return. If you do not qualify for the scheme then tax gets deducted at source and then you deduct it from your bill when you complete the return.

Also residence for tax purposes and temporary/permanent residence for immigration purposes are different things.

Just to back up what Notts said. On a 457 only your aus income is taxable in aus and you get full tax allowances in the uk. Double if the il house is in two names. Also bear in mind mortgage interest, estate agents fees and some other costs are tax deductible in the uk.

Also bear in mind mortgage interest, estate agents fees and some other costs are tax deductible in the uk.

....insurance, repairs/maintenance, wear & tear allowance if it's rented furnished or part-furnished, etc etc

If you are only renting out one home and it has a mortgage on it then you probably won't end up paying any tax at all. You'll just have to do a tax return

Archived