Cat from Melbourne to Hobart

violethaze

I thought I'd just make a note of the process of getting a cat from Melbourne to Hobart by plane, as I had no clue what to do and got a bit misdirected by some online information.

there are two options of how to get your cat over by plane:

Australian Air Express - tel. 131213 (http://www.aae.com.au)

Jetpets - tel. 1300 668 309 (jetpets.com.au)

Jetpets will collect and deliver the cat or you can take the cat to them. Jetpets provide cat carriers.

AAE is Qantas associated. I went with this carrier as I already have a cat carrier and I wanted a basic freight service.

For my cat, which weighs approx 4.5 kg (AAE rounded that up to 5kg) and the carrier, the approximate cost is $100 if I do not travel on the same flight. If I do travel on the same flight there is a discount of around $40, making the cost $60 (approx.).

You need to book in advance, the same way you would a seat for yourself. So room on a particular flight is subject to availability, and I was advised to book as soon as possible. I was advised to check the availability for the cat and get a seat for myself if I wanted to fly on the same flight.

Once a booking is made, they send paperwork that must be approved and signed and that is taken along with the cat to the airport.

You need to be at the airport 2 hours prior to the flight.

You pay at the Melbourne end at the airport.

You give the name of the person lodging the cat in.

You give the name of the person who will be collecting the cat at the other end.

As my cat is almost a year old, nothing is required from a vet. If you cat is only a few weeks/months old, you will need to check what you need from a vet.

Hope this is helpful to someone in the future.

an update. As I now have a home to move into in Tasmania, I thought I'd go ahead and try to book my cat on a flight over for a couple of weeks after I move into the new house.

AAE is not open on weekends, nor after 5.30pm weekdays, so I'll have to phone them after the long weekend if I want to ask questions.

I was going to book the cat via the website, but after reading the information provided, it seems that she has to be booked onto a plane that leaves while the freight office is still open in Melbourne (fair enough) and arrives no later than 30mins before the freight office in Tasmania closes (also, fair enough). Problem is, the freight office in Hobart is not open on weekends!

So it seems my friend is going to have to take time off work in order to get home, get my cat, drive to the freight office/airport 2 hours prior to the plane departing during the week.

We are in the 21st Century aren't we??

I'm a bit peeved at the moment. I love my cat, but this is all a bit painful. My friend has of course said he will take the time off work, but he's not a person who likes to do that sort of thing. Yes, there is the option of having the freight company collect the cat and take her to the airport.... but someone has to be home so they can get the cat.

Also, I will confirm this when I speak to the AAE office on Tuesday, but I THINK the plane goes from Melbourne to Hobart VIA SYDNEY?! Which makes the journey time over 4 hours instead of just over an hour. Add on two hours prior to flight departure, plus 45 mins to drive to the plane.... if it weren't for the fact I have no home to take her to when I arrive in Tasmania plus it's an additional 3 hours or so from Devonport to where I'll be, I'd put her on the ferry with me.

Not happy right now.

Edited as I realised most of what was making me unhappy was having to put another person out in order to get my cat to me. My friend has been lovely and has said he is happy to do it. Guess I'm just not overly used to people being nice to me :).

I will update the information once I know about whether the flight goes via Sydney.

Archived