Wanted Down Under - New Series 7

craigyboy

Yes, it's back on: Wanted Down Under. Well, what can I say!! I am from Glasgow and so are the couple featured this morning. The couple featured initial comments made about the Oz houses and most worryingly the area's amenities compared to where they come from in Glasgow was just laughable. The usual statements, providing the mandatory maximum cringe factor was to be heard continually: I am totally embarrassed to be a Glaswegian as consequence!!! For example, the usual round of comments "I'm not coming all the way round the world to stay in a dump like this" or" we'll sleep out on deck chairs and not go into the house, if this the only house we can get over here with a pool :elvis:".

In my Scottish dialect I have only one thing to say, ' don't forget yer auld arse'!!!! The rental they had was clean and tidy and double the size of the ex council house they hailed from in Scotland!!! Not saying the couple didn't have a lovely home in Scotland, but come on, to be making comments bordering on derogatory about the shows featured homes (which to be honest the shows producers should be showing rented property as well as property suited to the couples budget and demographic). For me was continually bordering on the rude. I have only one thing to say,"Away back to the social deprivation of the East end of Glasgow where :wink: life expectancy of a man living there is 59!!!"

For the future anyone from Glasgow please remember the Scottish saying I stated early and your manners and keep your comments under control. Understandably, the houses may not have been their style, but comments like "this is manky (dirty)" was just plain rude. No wonder the Australian call us whinging POMS. The last two houses where a little older, they were certainly not dirty. Maybe Australians have more of the right attitudes to life and spend their money on enjoying life, rather than continually trying to keep up with Jones with the latest look for the house in the UK.

Thankfully, Australia won the family over eventually. My point is: people should stop having a mandatory strop at the slightest issue that doesn't suit them i.e. thats it forgot Australia, we are not coming here!! So, for the future please take time and think about what you are saying, particularly when you open your mouth. And please, please stop comparing the first thing that you think is below standard, the minute Australia offers something that somewhere up in your minds delusions appears sub par to what you think you have better in the UK to compare it with.

Ironic perhaps that the call in the opening of this thread was for people - specifically participants in WDU - to stop and think about what they're about to say before they say it. Yet in making the call, what 'thinking' has been given to the circumstances in which the programme participants find themselves in?

Think on this:

The WDU production team are focussing on specific lines of interest and are constantly seeking to tease out anything that gives the show some punch - to make each story slightly unique, a little contentious maybe, but ultimately watchable. They also have the power of the 'edit'. They're professionals, and they're very good at it.

Participants may find having a TV camera and production crew following them around to be a new and uniquely surreal experience. For example; being constantly 'encouraged' to say what you see and feel and then asked to do it again and again and again can be a little disorienting and wearing. They're amateurs, and they may not be very good at it.

So perhaps it's possible they end up saying and doing things that in more natural or familiar situations they would rephrase or do differently with the benefit of further consideration.

In principle I agree with the sentiment; people should think more before they speak. Absolutely. But remember, we all have the opportunity to do exactly that before we click 'submit' on an internet forum so we have no excuses. WDU participants haven't quite got the same luxury

Just watching that first new episode of WDU.

The family from Glasgow. "You would have to pay me to live here. It's depressing" :frown:

The only redeeming feature is the pool. My God! "It's a dump" :huh:

O how I cringed. That's someone's home, someone's pride and joy, what they worked hard for.

As Roy Walker says..... "Say what you see".

Edited by MACDONALDO67