Best Suburb to live in Melbourne not far from Ringwood area

Guest european

Guest european

Hi,

I would like to ask you for some help. I am moving with my family to Melbourne by Feb 2013 with 2 my children 3 and 6 year ols. My job is located in Ringwood 3134 and looking which is the best place to live around for families. I will be looking for some houses between 400 - 500 AUD / months for at least 3-5 years. DO you think you can help me?

Anything you can advise me once I arrive there as I think not so much Slovak people live there. What shall I consider first?

Thank you so much as this move is excited but very very stressful :-)

Guest guest68546

I can't imagine public transport would be great but if you drive, Ringwood isn't too far from places in and around the Dandenong Ranges if you fancied something a bit more rural. I've only passed through it but I'm told from former colleagues that The Basin is a great place to live.

• 1 month later...

I lived in Ringwood for probably 20 years...so can help (curious that your work is there? not a big suburb in terms of industry or employment?)

Ringwood is easily accessible by public transport - check how far from place of work is from ringwood station, or east ringwood station.

Ringwood is also easily accessible by car - it is serviced by major highways (Eastern Freeway - running all the way from Melbourne CBD, 30 klms east to Ringwood), or Eastlink (a toll road for which you must pay to use) - whereby you could live all the way down south of Melbourne, towards suburbs like Safety Beach, and drive along the toll road, which would take about half an hour.

If you want to avoid driving if possible, then Ringwood is not hard to get to. Your budget of $400/500 per week is ample - should get you a nice 3/4BR house in the area. Gets you more for your money if you move away from the city, towards suburbs like Boronia or Croydon or Mooroolbark, or gets you a smaller house in a nicer suburb if you move towards the city, and travel AWAY from most traffic flows. For example...Surrey Hills.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi There,

Not sure if you are still looking into rentals but we are also renting very close to Ringwood in a neighbouring suburb called Heathmont. It seems quite a nice area and Ringwood seems to have good amenities as we visit there quite often.

Be warned that rentals here are very basic in comparrison to what you can probably get for your money back home. Nearly every rental we have looked at has a 1970's bathroom and kitchen! And they don't always have air-con. I personally find rent quite high out here and we are savig madly for a deposit to buy our own house. Popular rentals also have open days where interested parties can look around the property but this is like being up against other people who also want that house to rent. It can be quite competitive.

My advise would be to start looking asap to secure somewhere for when you arrive. I must admit I am also entrigued as to your job offer as I agree with the above comment that Ringwood is not a huge suburb for employment opportunities.

Good luck with the move and finding somewhere!