AHPRA & Occupational Therapy (or other equivalent AHP)

Melly Hutchibon

Hello everyone, does anyone have experience of AHPRA registration and how to go about it?

I hold a 175 PR visa but I'm still in the UK and have not as yet validated my visa.

Am I correct in thinking that I can only apply for 'limited registration for supervised practice' whilst I undergo my 6 months supervised practice (in OZ) in order to complete stage II - Practice Audit and receive my certificate of practice completion by COTRB. Thereafter I can apply for full registration from AHPRA?........

So to summarise I need to;

1. find an OT job in OZ

2. Arrive in OZ

3. Apply to AHPRA for limited registration

4. Apply to COTRB for stage II practice audit

5. Start work

6. Complete 6 months audit

7. Apply for full registration from AHPRA

If that is the case how long does stage 3 take and are you allowed to work/earn money as an OT pending the registration coming through....

Any advice or experience of this process would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Mel x

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Mel,

I am going over to Tasmania for a graduate OT post so have been through a couple of those stages. You are right about what you need to do but AHPRA is such a pain to work with. I would advise that you apply for the limited registration with them as soon as possible as it takes forever. I have had to send in additional paperwork etc. 4 times now even after thinking I had sent in everything imaginable!

I am with a 457 visa but I think the registration process is the same. I found that job offer, visa, and COTRB stage 1 was all processed quickly (within 2 months for all to be completed) but AHPRA is taking forever. Are you able to register with AHPRA before a job is offered?

Rosie x

Hi Rosie,

Thank you for your reply! From looking at the paperwork for all relevant OT AHPRA registrations it appears that a nominated employer/supervisor who is themselves registered is required - as is a stamped passport I think but I may contact AHPRA beforehand to see if there are other options!

My COTRB stage 1 took 13 weeks so its great that your application was done so quickly. Will this be your first OT post since graduating or have you taken this post as a means of entering Oz?

Good luck with your graduate post and your time in Tasmania!

Mel x

Guest ashleighmarie

Hi Rosie,

Whereabout in Oz have you taken this graduate position? I am in my 3rd year and hoping to get a new grad job in NSW when i qualify in June 2013.

I have a lot of info about AHPRA, OTcouncil, COTRB and visas, same as you i am planning to go on a 457 visa but am really stuck as to what order i need to do things in and when i can apply for the registration. Where did you find the best place to find this info?

Rules in NSW appear to differ from everywhere else which is also causing me issues

Thanks,

Ashleigh

• 1 year later...
Hi Rosie,

Whereabout in Oz have you taken this graduate position? I am in my 3rd year and hoping to get a new grad job in NSW when i qualify in June 2013.

I have a lot of info about AHPRA, OTcouncil, COTRB and visas, same as you i am planning to go on a 457 visa but am really stuck as to what order i need to do things in and when i can apply for the registration. Where did you find the best place to find this info?

Rules in NSW appear to differ from everywhere else which is also causing me issues

Thanks,

Ashleigh

Hi Ashleigh

Wondering how you got on with the limited registration process? Just got my visa through and planning to goo out to Melbourne in November, I've heard that OTs hve struggled to find a job which will provide the 6 months of supervised practise. Hope you have had better luck! :yes:

Archived