Been in Canberra for 1 week...where to start!

Guest Lola and Charlie

Guest Lola and Charlie

Currently spending my days on this and other very helpful forums. Looking at daycare ctrs, schools, hospitals, shops, library, tennis courts (indoor and outdoor), fitness centres (including yoga classes), orchestra's / choir's / walks /tracks, swimming pools.... and do they have cafe's / pubs with play area for children in Canberra. Not yet seen...?

Aware of the road rage, over taking on the inside lane and lack of courtesy.

Thanks for tip re: Private Schools vs Public Schools.

Unfortunate about lack of insulation in housing.

And agree, lots of nature reserves, a good place for bringing up family..... Xmas Baby to come!

My OH and I (of late 30's / early 40's) have come from the UK (Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire). He English and I Australian but have been one of the pommies for the past 13years. Temporary located in Barton. Would love to meet with others. (A good excuse to explore more of Canberra in the day / night, weather it be BBQ and light walk or family friendly places for a sociable drink (pub/cafe).

Do shout and we can arrange a day and place to meet out! :-)

Currently spending my days on this and other very helpful forums. Looking at daycare ctrs, schools, hospitals, shops, library, tennis courts (indoor and outdoor), fitness centres (including yoga classes), orchestra's / choir's / walks /tracks, swimming pools.... and do they have cafe's / pubs with play area for children in Canberra. Not yet seen...?

And agree, lots of nature reserves, a good place for bringing up family..... Xmas Baby to come!

My OH and I (of late 30's / early 40's) have come from the UK (Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire). He English and I Australian but have been one of the pommies for the past 13years. Temporary located in Barton. Would love to meet with others. (A good excuse to explore more of Canberra in the day / night, weather it be BBQ and light walk or family friendly places for a sociable drink (pub/cafe).

Houses have to be insulated in the ACT , it's the law! I'd wait until you have been around for a while before making such statements. Oh and if they are passing you on the inside (left) lane which is legal, what are you doing in the right hand lane?

Childcare is pot luck. Put your name on lots of lists. Swimming, we like Kings. Have a look at the 'clubs' like the southern cross club, nearest you will get to a pub with a play area.

Guest Ptp113
Childcare is pot luck. Put your name on lots of lists. Swimming, we like Kings. Have a look at the 'clubs' like the southern cross club, nearest you will get to a pub with a play area.

Daughter went to Kings for many years.

Guest McGuff

Hi, we are in a similar situation, I am Australian but living in UK for 8 years and my husband is English...it's an interesting transition! For childcare, I subscribed to an alert at Careforkids.com.au that lets you know when a place comes up that meets your needs. It costs but we found a place much quicker than I expected in Family Day Care so probably worth the money.

We have been here for 3 months now, living in Narrabundah which is great, central and close. Have not yet found any pubs with play areas, still looking, but a trip to the Bus Depot Markets and then a walk around the lake is a great way to spend a Sunday. Would be interested in meeting up, we are only just about to start work so keen to meet people and make some friends, especially people who are going through the same transition!

Hope your settling in is going well.