English Solicitor

Britlaw

Hi Everyone

Its been a short while since I posted but have news! This week I (finally) finished my app for the WA Legal Practice Board (together with report about me from me, report about me from a colleague and a pack of certified qualification certificates and assorted stuff). I have just this minute emailed my form off and I'm sat here waiting for the post office to open before I send it on its journey to WA.

Wish me luck!! I should hear back in about a month, I'll let you know how I got on.

Ammosaph :biggrin:

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone

Just to let you know I've now heard back from the Law Society and they've assessed that I need to study: Constitutional Law, Evidence, Civil Procedure, Trust & Office Accounting and Ethics and Professional Responsibility. Which I think are the 5 compulsory ones - regardless of years of practice and experience. So, whilst it was a mare to gather the information and complete the papers i'm through it and got a good result, so I'm pleased.

We leave for Perth in about 2 weeks and I hope to start my studies soon after landing. I'll check back in in about 6 months to let you know how I'm getting on.

Best of luck to everyone else who is going through this process.

Ammosaph : )

• 4 weeks later...

Thats great! Well done to you!

Well we arrived in Melbourne in July and so far the "lawyer" job market seems pretty flat!

I have spoken to the Institute of Victoria so am in the process of getting things ready for a skills assessment.

Does a local admission up your chances of getting a job? apparently not, the recruiters all say the same thing, "it's not what you know over here it's who!!"

Im living in Berwick and haven't met a single lawyer yet so it is disheartening to say the least.

The search for work continues... Watch this space....

x

Hi Everyone

Just to let you know I've now heard back from the Law Society and they've assessed that I need to study: Constitutional Law, Evidence, Civil Procedure, Trust & Office Accounting and Ethics and Professional Responsibility. Which I think are the 5 compulsory ones - regardless of years of practice and experience. So, whilst it was a mare to gather the information and complete the papers i'm through it and got a good result, so I'm pleased.

We leave for Perth in about 2 weeks and I hope to start my studies soon after landing. I'll check back in in about 6 months to let you know how I'm getting on.

Best of luck to everyone else who is going through this process.

Ammosaph : )

Archived