Car importation

J&T

Hi all,

I'm emigrating to Perth in September.

I have my furniture & one car being shipped the end of this month in a container.

I need a company to arrange all of the paperwork. I have been in contact with ironladyimports but they are very slow to respond. Does anybody have any recommendations for import agents as I will be importing 2 cars but need to get the relevant licence for the first import asap.

Regards

Jon

It is possible to get this all done yourself, I've just done it.

You can apply for the PIA using the form here http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/application_forms.aspx#io1

Fill in the form, scan this and all your other docs and email the application to them, should take approx 15 working days.

Docs I submitted with this application form:

Car reg papers

Proof of purchase (invoice/receipt)

Drivers license

Evidence of my selling my house (or at least putting it on the market)

Resignation letter

Passport details as required

Statement of travel

Visa

See also http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/pis.aspx

The company which ships the furniture should be associated with a customs clearing house, so by the time they've done with it, it is released from the shipping co. warehouse and able to be driven using a temporary movement permit. Take it down to Welshpool testing centre, they'll tell you if anything needs sorting to meet ADRs (mine didn't, all spot on). Your temp permit will allow you to take it to a garage for these changes, then you take it back, get it all signed off, and you're on the road. A straight car is not that difficult to import under PIS, message me if you need more info.

P

Hi Pete,

Many thanks for the info, will pull all the info out that I can this weekend. May pm you if need more assistance. Have printed off the form.

May I ask what car you brought over?

Cheers,

Jon

Hi Jon,

I brought in a 2006 BMW 325i coupe. It made financial sense considering the value in UK vs the value here.

I also brought in a car kit, but that's a different story.

Oh, forgot to mention you really need to provide an Aussie address for the VIA to be sent to. I used a mates address, he received the docs, scanned them and emailed them to me for the shippers.

Also, when you email them the application, you'll get an acknowledgement email within 10 minutes. If you don't, then they didn't receive it. One of my emails to them went astray so before you wait 15 days make sure you have the acknowledgement.

Cheers

Archived