Irish Backpackers Banned from Australian Hostel

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

An Irish owner of a Whitsundays hostel has banned Irish backpackers from checking in at his establishment.

Thomas Dunne, who runs the Main Street Backpackers hostel in Proserpine and the adjoining bar O’Duinns, is fed up with Irish backpackers causing chaos, destruction and general drunken disturbance.

Mr Dunne told the Irish Echo that many of the incidents have caused deliberate damage to his property.

“Over the last three years the Irish backpacker has taken over the mantle [in behaviour] so we take less each year,” he said.

“This year we have had eight Irish backpackers. It’s only the start of the season and already six have been thrown out, one checked out and one girl remains, who may I add, is no trouble.

“Two of the Irish lads who were kicked out at 2am, we had them arrested and charged for damage done to our accommodation,” he said.

“It’s the last straw we will not be taking any more.

“What can I say, we can’t tar everyone with the same brush, but yes we have had enough of the Irish backpackers who stay at our accommodation.

“It’s sad really because the other nationalities say the same about them at the other hostels.

“It reflects badly on us as we have to live up here,” he concluded

Yesterday the men were charged with one count of wilful damage to the property. They were fined $90 each and ordered to pay $410 to the owner of the hostel.

Guest Shell15

I'm surprised they get away with that! A bit harsh to be honest and unfair on the ones who do behave themselves..I'm surprised its the Irish actually..

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm surprised they get away with that! A bit harsh to be honest and unfair on the ones who do behave themselves..I'm surprised its the Irish actually..

I was surprised he can get away with it, why tarnish all the Irish because of a few bad eggs

Archived