My shipping saga

PeteD

Just thought I'd share my shipping experience with everyone to help provide insight, this site helped me immensely during my move so just want to pay it forward. The long and the short of the move - pretty successful.

Okay, my shipment was far from normal, yep there was a car with valid VIA, and yep there was a bit (400 cu ft - one lounge, 1 bedroom, 1 kitchen) of furniture. But the main sticking point was 90% of a kit car. Since the main car was 4.5m, the kit 4m, the obvious choice was a sole use 40ft container which gave the shippers about 10 feet of packing space (60cu ft per running foot - 2350cu ft for a 40 ft, you do the math) at the end of the container for my furniture even if they didn't board over the kit and pack on top. The kit added another level of complexity, vehicle import approvals ...

The biggest issue has been the kit, it is not completed, has never been registered and therefore cannot obtain a VIA under the requirements of DOTARS (Dept. of Transport). Additionally, as a single person I could not get a permit for two vehicles (1 per person per 5 years). The only way to therefore bring in the kit is under precedent 15439800 which defines when a car is a car and not parts. If you can comply with the precedent by removing the entire drive train and shipping it separately, then all you're bringing in is parts in each shipment. You can then separately apply to the state DoT to be allowed to build said kit, a separate issue, but as long as they are happy you didn't need a VIA to bring in the parts, should not present too much of an issue. I have it on good authority that WA is more lenient than other states in granting authority to build, but don't quote me on it. Since I had the suspension and wheels for the kit (parts of the drivetrain), I had to split the shipping into 2 separate shipments, one being my car, my furniture and the body & parts of the kit, and the second being the drivetrain components I'd got to date.

So I knew I had two shipments, I knew this from the outset, and started my quest for a shipper. Moving from the north-west of England, I called in the usual suspects, admittedly with only 4 weeks notice to shipment:

John Mason - Didn't really want to quote, after some emails eventually gave me a myriad of quotes which seemed in some ways competitive until you work out they're not using a sole use container. Also questioned my 9 months investigation into shipping the kit, their first response would have seen me crushing/disposing the kit at customs in Aus.

PSS - Couldn't get around on time, but offered to beat any like-for-like quote .

Crown - Said they were far from me, and in a round about way said try another shipper (but did eventually quote).

Pickfords - Did quote within 2 weeks, seemed to understand exactly what I wanted, realising I'd done my homework on the subject

White & Co. - Took 3 weeks to quote

So, I removed PSS from the list, since the complexity of the shipments required a little more than a like-for-like over the phone response. Crown and White & Co. were at least £2,000 over the remaining two, so they got wittled out. One of the quotes from John Mason was for the breakdown I'd requested (one full container + 1 groupage) but their rates were £800 more, so I considered two key points; firstly they didn't know/understand the precedent and weren't even bothered to check/investigate what it meant and secondly they used a third party in Aus which Pickfords didn't. So Pickfords got the job. I'll say at this point that of those that quoted, Pickfords were also the most accurate on cu ft required, getting it almost spot on. Quotes ranged from 300-600 cu ft, they got it right at 400cu ft. For the record I accepted the quote of £5500 for the sole use 40ft container and £600 for the 40cu ft groupage, but admittedly the sole use didn't require a lot of packing, only 400cu ft required packing; I believe a lot of quoting differences on same sized container volume relate to labor, materials, etc. required to pack the items into said container.

I didn't take the Pickford insurance, very expensive, but chose to take 'insureyourmove.com' instead. Having moved a good few times I was looking for total loss/significant damage insurance. My ex worked for Maersk, and I've seen the damage 50ft waves can do to the front containers on the biggest of container ships; not to mention crane failure at the docks. I expected the odd wine glass to break (but no, it didn't) and was happy to accept this.

They came round on the agreed date and packed up everything nicely, marked everything for shipment one and shipment two and took it away. The next day I arranged for a flatbed to pick up the kit body and followed it to their depot in the car to be shipped. Nice friendly folk, lots of cups of tea, 3 pies a man for lunch, everything went smoothly and my goods were away.

They packed on the 3rd April, and my container arrived in Freemantle on 18 May, not bad, about 7 weeks ... The second shipment of the drivetrain (40cu ft) was held in UK at no charge (6 weeks) until released so there was no possibility of it breaching the precedent.

My main shipment got split into two here, one for my furniture and another for my car and the kit. This was done because cars and car parts are subject to duties where household effects aren't. The furniture got released almost immediately and I arranged delivery immediately since I'd just got a rental (another story). The guys dropped the stuff off, and kind of gave me the look like 'do you really want us to unpack it too?'. I declined and unpacked it myself after they assured me I had 2 weeks to lodge an insurance claim, and besides, I got to check everything as I unpacked it. Additionally they said I could call Pickfords and they would once only come and pick up all the packaging. All was well, slight damage to one foot of my dishwasher, but other than that, perfect!

The main car didn't cause any issues, but the kit & its parts got stopped by customs. Now here's the wierd part, customs define when parts is a car or parts through their precedent, yet they didn't deem themselves capable of deciding what I was bringing in was parts or a car. They wanted more from DoT, wanted DoT to say I didn't need an import approval. So I called, and got the young lad on the service desk who simply said 'sorry mate, crush it'. Not convinced I pleaded to talk to someone else and I got his boss who, looking at the photos I had taken prior to shipment basically turned around and said it met the precedent. I got an email to that effect from him, sent it on to the clearing agents, and all was well. Shipment released - duties, taxes and AQIS (free!) a few grand cheaper than budgeted.

I pick up the main car tomorrow, and I'll arrange delivery of the kit next week. I did accept the quote on the understanding it was my responsibility to deliver/collect the kit so fair play.

My second shipment, the drivetrain arrives in Freemantle on 6 July, let's see if customs think I've packed another car!

All in all, a very successful and easy move from my movers Pickfords. They have gone out of their way to help, they've not charged for holding stuff, and all round I can say if they hadn't put in the effort they have, it could have taken an absolute age to get my shipments through. I could give specific thanks to Donna, Jayne, Brad and their clearing agent Tracy but I doubt you'll ever cross paths unless you have dealings with them. Hats off to a job well done!

Well, that's me. Hopefully this gives two insights, first that I've been very happy with Pickfords and secondly incomplete kit cars require some thought before shipping. PM if you want more info on either or anything else I may have touched on.

Cheers

P

Archived