Citizenship by Descent - Right to remain indefinitely?

Guest Trueblue22

Guest Trueblue22

Hello

I am moving to Townsville in October with my 4 yr old and wondered if once he has Oz citizenship (by descent) will he be allowed to remain in the country?

(I am already an Oz citizen)

Thanks

Zoe :)

Hi,

Yes, he's an Australian citizen and eligible for a passport so can stay forever. If however, he went onto have children in the UK they may not be eligible for Australian Citizenship...

If you google you should come up with lots of info.

Thanks, Kat

Guest Trueblue22
Hi,

Yes, he's an Australian citizen and eligible for a passport so can stay forever. If however, he went onto have children in the UK they may not be eligible for Australian Citizenship...

If you google you should come up with lots of info.

Thanks, Kat

Thanks Kat, this is what I thought. He will be entering on an evisitor but i intend to get citizenship for him if we do decide to stay permanently.

Many thanks

• 1 month later...
Thanks Kat, this is what I thought. He will be entering on an evisitor but i intend to get citizenship for him if we do decide to stay permanently.

Many thanks

We got our kids citizenship by descent and then an Aussie passport, worth doing even if you just get the citizenship papers and not the passport as that way they have it, just in case they change the law in the future. Then if they have kids there is a minimum amount of time they have to have lived in the country for their kids to get the same thing, e.g. think it's about 2/3 years. Hope that helps.

Why not get citizenship and Aus passport before you leave? Its really straightforward and we had it sorted for our son within weeks. I'd get it regardless while he is young.

I am also unsure about the e visitor bit if you wish to be living there. He'd need a more permanent visa surely? would be cheaper and easier to get Aus side sorted IMHO.

Archived