Building/Bricklaying

nickywes

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help. We have just started the process of applying for our visa but am getting confused with a work issue. My husband is a builder at the moment and we have a medium sized company ranging from extensions to building new houses. When and if we get to move over he wants to buy land and build new houses. Does anyone know whether, firstly we are allowed to do this and secondly are their rules and regulations to building as there are here. I have heard about this FIRB but have no idea what it is or what they do. Can anyone help me please.

Thanks

Nicky and Paul

Guest ABCDiamond

If you are coming over on a PR Visa, then the FIRB does not apply to you.

The FIRB handles the restrictions on foreigners, visitors, etc with property ownership. As a PR you have the same rights as a Citizen.

To build houses he will need a licence. That can take some time, and you need to follow this up thouroughly. With the TRA, he will only be allowed to work for an employer, as a builder, until he passes the State tests to obtain a contractors licence.

This does appear to be a VERY important issue for you.

Hi there

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is a very big issue for us as my husband had a disc removed from his back last year and although he is capable of being a bricklayer full time I am not so sure that he should for the welfare of his back.

Also, he would desperately like to develop, which would then leave opportunities for other trades workwise. We would have the finances to fund the land and build and also a member of his work force now would like to come over at pretty much the same time if granted a visa so we would automatically have the skills of him aswell.

We were looking at the Perth area, not quite sure why, but mainly because we have been told the climate is better. Any advice???

Thanks for your help as this is a real question for us.

Nicky

Hi again

I have another question that you be able to answer for me, How does my husband go about passing the state tests to become a contractor and can he do anything this end to help beforehand or does it have to be done once in Oz?

Thanks

Nicky

Guest ABCDiamond
Hi again

I have another question that you be able to answer for me, How does my husband go about passing the state tests to become a contractor and can he do anything this end to help beforehand or does it have to be done once in Oz?

Thanks

Nicky

I "think" it all has to be done in Australia.

Here is a quote on info that I previously found:

Bricklayers - After a bit of delving into this, I have a feeling that the following is common here: You get your trade assessed, in the UK, by the TRA who basically confirm that you can be an Australian bricklayer (employed), and earn the basic wage as an employee. However, when you arrive in Australia, you find that contractors earn more than employed workers, etc, and to fit into that category, you then find that you have to go through a lot of extra exams (including a 3 day management course), and cost, in getting the required builders licence, to be able to work under that title. I suggest checking this out FULLY, if this is relevant to you. I have heard that it can take 4-6 months, and cost about $2,500 to get a full licence. I am not 100% on this, but suggest looking into it further.

Thanks for that, sounds about right that we will have to do it over there but exams, I am not sure that he would relish that thought. At least one thing for sure it stops a lot of so called builders from working as a Contractor, so that would be good news.

Have just read that "NHBC is internationally recognised as an example of best practice, representatives from across the world visit NHBC for advice and information" (quote) so that could be in our favour and will have to research it further.

Will post more if I can get any info on this.

Thanks

Nicky

Guest Missiemo
Hi again

Thanks

Nicky

I "think" it all has to be done in Australia.

Here is a quote on info that I previously found:

Bricklayers - After a bit of delving into this, I have a feeling that the following is common here: You get your trade assessed, in the UK, by the TRA who basically confirm that you can be an Australian bricklayer (employed), and earn the basic wage as an employee. However, when you arrive in Australia, you find that contractors earn more than

employed workers, etc, and to fit into that category, you then find that you have to go through a lot of extra exams (including a 3 day management course), and cost, in getting the required builders licence, to be able to work under that title. I suggest checking this out FULLY, if this is relevant to you. I have heard that it can take 4-6 months, and cost about $2,500 to get a full licence. I am not 100% on this, but suggest looking into it further.

Would this apply to all states in Australia, or can they differ

thanks

missiemo

x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sares

Hi there, Funny you should mention your husband had a disc removed, so did mine! We are about to start the TRA assessment as hubby is a bricky, well general builder realyy covers most aspects. Currently doing ground works and building lift shafts over here. Where abouts in oz are you planning on moving to? We have heard there is a problem with geting labour which would mean hubby would have to be employed for a while first before setting up as we are here. We are heading to Perth/ Northam area. Would be nice to hear from you.

Good luck with everything.

Sares 8)

Hi there

We are in pretty much same situation as you with TRA assessment just being done. We think the Perth area would suit us for the climate etc. and have found out all sorts of useful info re. work, i.e. have to start at the bottom as a bricklayer or something, working for a licenced contractor and then go to college to get licence to contract himself which sounds like it takes about 4 months and cost about $2500 but not sure how accurate this information is, we will have to see. One thing we have found out is that the TRA certificate is just for visa purposes only and you should apply again with all the same info etc. to get a work certificate from them, which I think can be done from this end before going. This will enable them to get work out there apparently. Is your husband able to bricklay full time with his back?

What part of the Country are you in and are you going through an agent? I am quite nervous about the whole thing but excited at the same time. Do you have children?

Speak to you soon.

Nicky

Hi there, Funny you should mention your husband had a disc removed, so did mine! We are about to start the TRA assessment as hubby is a bricky, well general builder realyy covers most aspects. Currently doing ground works and building lift shafts over here. Where abouts in oz are you planning on moving to? We have heard there is a problem with geting labour which would mean hubby would have to be employed for a while first before setting up as we are here. We are heading to Perth/ Northam area. Would be nice to hear from you.

Good luck with everything.

Sares 8)

Guest Sares

Yep hubby is a bricky most of the time, he had his discectomy 6 years ago and has had no reoccuring problems. Hubby's work here is based around Gloucestershire/Cotswolds/Herefordshire areas. Currently we are living in North Devon, so he is traveling quite a bit. We have three daughters aged 16, 10, 7 years. We are heading to Perth (rural) near York/Beverly/Northam. Yes we are going through an agent called 1st Contact.

I am 36, hubby is 32 (toy boy) I'm a beauticain. What about you?

We are being advised to go on a 136 skilled visa, is that the same as you? I get the feeling the process is going to take a while. We have nothing to sell as sold our house in London and have rented here in Devon for the past two yrs. Just want to go now! I think when you have made your mind up taht's it. Me and Hubby are going out in Sept for a month to check it out. Mum is moving in and having the kids so we can make the most of it. Let me know if there is anything specific you want me to check outfor you guys. Seeing as hubby's are in the same game it would not be putting us out and is always good to have contacts.

I've heard from my aunt the High school in York is excellent so we are making a visit there too.

Spk soon

Sarah and Ben

Hubby only had his op last year and I have to say his back is the best it has ever been but don't want to push it. We have our own Company so he does not do a lot of the manual work anymore, although I wish he would to get him out of my hair more. We are in Hertfordshire and have 2 girls aged 22 and 21 (mine from previous relationship) and 15 year old gobby brat boy (at the moment, hopefully will come out of it!) together. I go one better than you with toyboy, I am 47 and he is 40 and have been together 17 years. I do all the admin side of the work.

We are going to have trouble getting the girls out there as they cannot be included on our appliation due to their age, supposedly they are classed as independant, chance would be a fine thing. I do not want to go without them and luckily they both want to go. I think it is the thought of all the surfer type fellas out there that is interesting. They are going to come with us on a working visa and hopefully can get sponsorship in a job, don't know what will happen if they can't. This part of it is worrying me more and more.

We hope to go out for a visit to look at areas etc early next year and maybe look to move in about 18 months. There will be a lot to do to close up everything here as you must know. I am not rushing to go but I think it will take a long time anyway. We sent his CV off to agent last Monday and not heard anything since but I am worried that the girls will meet some dreg or other and fall madly in love and decide not to go but we will have to cross that bridge when it comes to it. Paul (hubby) wants to go now. Also, luckily we won't have to look at schools as they will all be past that but Danny (brat) will be looking at colleges, hopefully to learn a few manners! As you can probably tell he has totally pissed me off today.

Have looked at various areas but util we go out there we don't really know enough to choose one to settle. We will definitely rent for at least 6 months and then hopefully by then we will know what is what and Paul wants to buy land and build for us, he also wants to do that for work aswell. Glad to hear of a beautician going out, that is my leg waxing sorted, now all i need is a hairdresser and nail person.

It will be nice to keep in touch as we will both find out all sorts of info that will help each other.

Speak again soon

Nicky

Yep hubby is a bricky most of the time, he had his discectomy 6 years ago and has had no reoccuring problems. Hubby's work here is based around Gloucestershire/Cotswolds/Herefordshire areas. Currently we are living in North Devon, so he is traveling quite a bit. We have three daughters aged 16, 10, 7 years. We are heading to Perth (rural) near York/Beverly/Northam. Yes we are going through an agent called 1st Contact.

I am 36, hubby is 32 (toy boy) I'm a beauticain. What about you?

We are being advised to go on a 136 skilled visa, is that the same as you? I get the feeling the process is going to take a while. We have nothing to sell as sold our house in London and have rented here in Devon for the past two yrs. Just want to go now! I think when you have made your mind up taht's it. Me and Hubby are going out in Sept for a month to check it out. Mum is moving in and having the kids so we can make the most of it. Let me know if there is anything specific you want me to check outfor you guys. Seeing as hubby's are in the same game it would not be putting us out and is always good to have contacts.

I've heard from my aunt the High school in York is excellent so we are making a visit there too.

Spk soon

Sarah and Ben

Guest Sares

I know what you mean about kids. My eldest is 16 and one minuite she thinks moving to oz is great then the next its crap and she wants to stay and get a flat with her mates. We told her straight she would have to support herself if she stayed here and that sorted it. Because she is 16 she could dig her heels in and stay but I don't think she will and we are just in time for her to come on our visa although we have been told we will have to support her until she is 25!. The other two aged 6 and 10 are just full of it and can't wait to go.

We have decided to rent a furnished property here with a large garage so we can make a start and sell our stuff. It does take time but I want to be prepared with as much money in the bank as poss. It has felt a bit scary but we are determined to get there some how. Did I mention we have had an ofer of a place in York WA. My aunt has a ranch and has built a new bungalow, this means the old one is just sitting there empty. She has offered it to us so we have a base to start off in out there RENT FREE. No one has ever made us an offer like that. The past few years have been a bit tough finiancially for us due to hubbies back really. You see when he needed his disc removed the NHS would not operate and put him on a waiting list for three years. We would have lost everything so sold our pride and joy little Golf GTI and paid for the op privately(£6k), he had to have 6 weeks off work then could only return to light duties for a couple of months, then two clients didn't pay up in the space of 6 weeeks and bang our bbble burst.. We did get compensation three years later from his insurance company ( the disc was from a side impact car collission) but it was not enough and we were in a right mess by then. So in a nutshell we have nothing to loseand everything to gain. Don't get me wrong we are not bitter but it is a bad and sad memory, the kids saw what we went through and they also saw not one member of our families offer to help in any way, I mean emotional support really, it seamed they were happy to see us down and could condecend to us.

You said you sent hubbys CV off. Was that for a Project Manager position or something similar? To what sort of company?

My hubby is looking into mining out there. The work is hard but two years of that and we could afford our own place outright. They fly them out, called busting out for four weeks on and two weeks off. We reckon we could handle that as he works away from home already. There are all sorts of different positions available from the contsruction industry required in mining.

By the way I do nails too. Manicures and Pedicures, did you mean gel or acrylic nails. I was thinking of opening a small salon and calling it 'You Beauty' and offering a wax down under :lol:

I have heard it's hard to find a decent hairdresser out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help I'm soo fussy about my hair. You have to go right into Perth and pay top dollar for an up to date look or you end up looking like a character from Prisioner Cell Block H. I was a hairdresser 15 years ago and went into beauty so I'm not up to date by any means and am looking to do a refresher course soon to update my skills in cutting and colouring. I'll let you know how I get on.

Enough of me rabbiting on

Spk soon

Sares :)

I want to go now too!

Guest ABCDiamond

I have heard it's hard to find a decent hairdresser out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help I'm soo fussy about my hair.

Keep an eye out for the British Hairdressers moving to Australia, and use them :)

My wife has a choice of 3 mobile hairdressers locally, all British Ex-Pats, and she isn't even British herself !!

Telling my kids that they would have to support themselves would definitely make up their minds! Even though they both work full time they don't seem to ever have any money. Maybe it is because they spend it all on going out, clothes and phone bills. They both really want to come with us though, although I think the eldest who is 22 may come back at a later date unless she makes lots of friends. Luckily they go out drinking together anyway, so watch out Australia, By the time we go, if we get a visa, she will be 24 anyway.

We did think about selling the house and doing what you have done but don't want to leave it just yet. Am trying to get rid of stuff now though.

I love the wax down under shop idea, can't imagine doing it though. I am hoping that we have a lot of British hairdressers there aswell because I can't imagine having a cell block H hairstyle. I have acrylic nails by the way.

Told Paul (hubby) about the mining work but he does not want to work away from home so that is out. He has said that he doesn't mind going back to just laying bricks etc. for a while so that there would be less stress than we have here. Here he is answering the telephone until 10pm at night and 8am Sunday mornings so to get away from that will be heaven even if the money is not so good.

In the recession at the end of the 80's we almost went bust and just managed to keep our house and it took us a long time to get straight again. I can see it going that way again in Britain before long and even though we are financially quite secure we just want a better way of life now. We should be able to buy a house outright and maybe have enough to buy some land for him to get started if that is what he wants to do. Mind you with the mounting costs for this, not so sure, and looking at the rising property prices over there, we would definitely rent first and leave money to gain interest and then get taxed on it!!!

We also do not have much family over here. My mum is in Cornwal but haven't seen her for years and I have a sister in Cornwall who would also like to go to Oz. My younger sister died of cancer at 38 and I was closest to her. Paul just has his mum who will spend time in both Countries if allowed. I do have my sisters kids to keep an eye on but they are the same ages as mine so almost off hand.

If you open a salon, which I think would go down a bomb, you will have me as a Customer.

The CV I sent off for Paul was to the Agent we have. I am a little concerned as they have not come back to me in over a week and we have already paid them about £1000. They were supposed to be telling me what visa to go for and what info to start collating. I have already started getting stuff prepared as he will go out as skilled so looked on the TRA site to find out what they need. My god all they have left out is blood. If they want skilled people out there why do they make it so difficult.

Speak again soon otherwise I will take over this part of the forum.

Nicky

Archived