Pension Transfers and 457 visa

Guest vhattle

Guest vhattle

I wanted to know if a pension transfer should only be considered once permanent residency is achieve and how long do you have once PR is achieved to transfer your pension. I am hoping to emigrate on a 457 sponsorship visa and I have a small bank pension, a personal pension and an NHS pension, I would need to consolidate and transfer and wanted to know how to start and the best plan.

Hi Vhattle

Firstly, it is possible to transfer a UK Pension/s if on a temporary resident visa however it is very unwise to do so unless it can be guaranteed that permanent residence will be obtained (and there is a saying "nothing is guaranteed").

If Pensions had been transferred as a temporary resident and that person had to leave Australia due to not gaining permanent residence this could breach the UK rules and hefty tax charges could arise.

Once you have obtained permanent residence and you feel it is your intention to remain in Australia, this would be the time to take advice on whether a transfer might be in your interests or not.

Regards

Andy

Archived