Coming to Oz on a 457 Visa

cronemeister

Hi

Been reading a few posts on here and just wanted some general advice.

I hope to be coming out to Oz in the next 2-3 months to take up a new job in Victoria.

I haven't submitted my visa application (waiting for prospective employers to get their approval back), but once I get round to it, do I need to take out health insurance just for me as the applicant, or will I also have to make sure my partner and our 2 children are covered on the policy also.

Having read a few posts on here, I'm still confused as to whether or not I need it for my Visa app, and if not what I need in place for my application etc.

I'm 36, my OH 33 and our children are 10 and 12. We are all generally healthy. My partner has had numerous hospital appointments over the past few years to do with her bowels, but other than that, nothing. Our daughter has been told she needs braces but has to wait until another 4 teeth fall out, and we suspect our son may also need them at some point.

From reading the private cover plans (BUPA, Medibank, IMAN etc) none of them would cover anywhere near the amount for braces for our kids.....it would probably be cheaper for us to fly home and have the work done if we could arrange it from Oz.

Would we be better off just arranging something for the visa process and then cancelling it once there and registered with Medicare, or just keeping a basic policy - for the sake of having ambulance cover etc?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Guest sadiesmum

Hi There

We have applied for the 457 visa and its a normal procedure to take private health care out in order to process the visa and then apply for medicare once you reach Australia. The emigration agent we are using sorted everything for us and it didnt cost us a penny.

Im not sure what the deal is re dental care, I assume with children dental cover would be the same as the UK?

Hello,

My OH is already in Oz on 457 visa, me and the kids are in the process of being added onto it. We had to go on his private health insurance BUPA for processing the visa. Once we get to Oz we will then come off that and apply for medicare. I think its costing around 180 dollars a month for the 4 of us to be on the private health care.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jadeanna

Hello, I am out here on a 457 visa. I do not have medicare or any private insurance. I contacted medicare and because I hold an Irish passport we have a recipicol agreement with Australia. As do UK and Northern Irish pasport holders. If you are from the UK or NI you will get a "yellow" temporary medicare card which last for the duration of your visa. If you are from ROI you are still covered but you do not get a card. When filling out a medicare reclaim you would give your Irish passport number. Also I am pregnant and I am being treated in a public hospital for free. I have paid for two private scans, and 2 GP visits but everything is free including ante natel and birth.

Even if you decide not to have private insurance, definitely look into ambulance cover. in some states you can register directly with the ambulance service (SA), in QLD all residents are automatically covered, in others you have to go through private health funds. When researching, bear in mind there is a difference between "emergency" transport and "medically necessary" transport, so be aware of what you're actually covered for...

Archived