Going back for a 4x week look around... Cool game we've been playing

surfndirt

Hi,

Long time since last post as started new job. Following my attempts at outlining costs of living etc, this post is about going back for a look around!

Been in Melbourne 6x years - coming over at the tender age of 26, no family, no ties and didn't know a sole!

In that six years I have been back once about 4.5 years ago and that was a quick visit - so it's been a canny while like.

So we're all booked up to come for 4x weeks from the 19th May. Gonna be in my least favourate place in the world for 2 days (London) :-( and my most favourate place in the world (Newcastle and surrounds) for the remainder. Actually really, really looking forward to it now......

So, have started researching my old stomping grounds around the toon (Tynemouth etc) and, I have to say - checking the cost of stuff has turned into a bit of an office game here i.e. how can I spin people out with cheap stuff!!!!

An example - my old local in Tynemouth is still knockin out pints for 2.50, and has a special on at the moment = 3.99 for a burger, chips & coke. Also, the somerfield down the way is doin a 12 pack of Carlsberg for 12 pound - that's 3 pound for 4 pints!!!!!!! On the same site I notice a box of coco pops is gettin run out at a quid a go....

I then turned my attention to cars for a laugh - low and behold, an 02' Nissan Primera (nowt flash I know) with full history and 1x owner for 900 quid!!

Hmm, gotta still be a fortune for petrol I'm thinkin = yep big time (painfull), insurance = same same really, how about road tax = nope $250 bucks a year cheaper there.

What about housing I ask myself, those 2x bed flats with views of the surf were always nice....... 140k pounds???? 2x bed flat in Williamstown, VIC = $350,000 - no beach (really), no surf - great area though.

So, people who are in Australia and new from the UK - you must be flipping out at the cost of stuff here ay. I know people earn less in the UK (not the case in my industry) but geez, the disparity is really quite stark hey???????

Hope you have a good trip, we were over there in 2010 for three months and we were around Newcastle too as we have family there and used to live there. We found it was much of a muchness on prices for the stuff we buy. There were a lot of empty houses though as things not being good work wise there. Since we have been back my niece lost her job and was not easy to get another one, government quango cuts.

We had a great visit though as that summer was so good.

Guest truebeliver

hi :)....4.5yrs ago is a long time bet you cant wait to visit your old stomping grounds......agree about london, im a sunderland lass meself so maybe less said on that the better haha......as soon as you said canny i knew you were from up this neck of the woods.... well sort of.....let us know what you make of it

cheers dawn

Archived